Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2.4 oil pick up tube question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
98dakota98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 oil pick up tube question

right now i have a 2.4 engine on a stand. it ha the steel oil pan on it. the pan is really rusty and looks like poo. i have an aluminum oil pan i want to put on it but i wanted to know if there was a difference in the pick up tubes. i know with my neon they have different pick up tubes for different oil pans. someone let me know something. it's the only thing keeping me from assembling my engine right now

Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if there are no other differances between the pans (one being bigger or deeper) other than what they are made of you will not have any issues. evan then, as long as you are still using the stock dip stick, you will be filling the oil to a level high enough for the stock pick-up to drawn the oil during normal driving.

if you have a deeper/wider pan it is best to install a windage tray. this keeps oil from totally sloshing away from the pick-up tube (or hitting the crank and foaming the oil) and starving your engine of oil during "other than norm" driving.

you should be able to check the depth of the alumn pan with anything from a tape mes to a piece of string. you just need to compare how far from the bottom of the stock pan the pick-up is compared to the new one. if it's too close you might not be able to "suck up" enough oil, too far away and you need to worry about oil starvation from the sloshing effect of spirted driving.

if you need a diff shaped pick up tube, have a GOOD welder change the shape by cutting, adding, and welding small pieces of tubing to your stock pick up tube. they can also make you a windage tray by putting small pieces of sheet metal inside the pan to control oil sloshing. i had a cast alum water pump welded on (long story) with no issues from the seals afterwards, they were installed at the time of welding. you just need to find a GOOD welder. the guy that did my water pump had lots of time working on outboard boat motors. hope this helps, happy motoring.

Quick Reply: 2.4 oil pick up tube question