Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Code P0725 on a 99 w 2.4 & AT

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM
dominic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0725 on a 99 w 2.4 & AT

A week or so ago the tacho on my Stratus went a bit nuts. It would go to 4K or so when the car was at a stop and then come down to whatever it was supposed to be when moving. It was pretty consistent at first but them seemed to just be all over the place. Today on the way home the car stalled. I tried cranking it over right away for about 10 seconds but it would not fire up. Then after sitting for a minute or so it started along and went fine for a mile or so. The real fun started at that point when the trans went into limp mode and the CEL illuminated. I nursed the car home 40 miles, and aside from two or three stalling episodes and intermittent transitions to and from limp mode we survived the ride home okay. I stopped at AZ on the way back since I don't own an OBDII scanner, and they came up with P0725 which seems to relate to the engine speed sensor. I have had multiple transmission speed sensor failures on this car, but I am wondering if this code and behavior related to the actual engine speed sensor (cam or crank sensor) or something else. I don't mind replacing the sensors on the trans as they are cheap and easy, but have never had one fail and make the tachometer wonky. I am going to keep researching it and put a call into a guy I know at a shop tomorrow, but if any of you folks want to offer assistance in the meanwhile I appreciate it. No Dodge jokes necessary, as this is the second best free vehicle I have ever owned. In case it becomes pertinent at some point the car did have a remote starter installed at SpeakerCity a long time ago, and I can only presume they tapped the tach signal somehow. Everything in that aftermarket system seems to be working at this time. This is all of the info I can provide currently, but if I can test and/or clarify anything else I certainly will try.

edit: I have replaced the cam sensor and although the light went out i think that was from the ECU being reset by me when I did it, the tach still goes to 4K for a 900 rpm idle and goes down as revs go up. It also parks all the way to the right (high side) with the car off and key out.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When this happened was the Speedometer still working ???
I think tou have two seperate troubles , I think the tachs hanging up , I'm assuming at 4k it's the proper idle just reading wrong

Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
dominic

The speedo has never given me any issue, just the tachometer. I am tempted to drive the car a bit now that the CEL is off after replacing the CMP sensor. I know that in all likelihood the light is just out because of resetting the ECU, but it might be worth it before I blow the cash on the CKP sensor. I honestly don't give a hoot if the tach works or not to be honest, as the car is an auto and I can tell pretty much by speed, gear, and sound, about where the RPM is at. The downside is that if the problem wasn't the CMP, the car will probably stall out at the least convenient time for me.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 AM
tomthedog
Captain

i know it sounds dumb, check ALL your options first: cig lighter, wipers, washer, radio, power windows, power locks, trunk release, or anything else you may have. this will point you to a "section" of the wire harness that may be giving you issues, and a fuse that "may" be the issue. on my '02 SE+ the turn/combo switch makes the dash lights flicker.

the big thing is the tach. i looked thru my haynes, it didn't have the specs for your system. i've had great luck in the past, go to the local dealer and ask to speak to the service manager. they are norm a former mech/teck who is more than happy to have a reason to show up the "new guys" who don't know alot about the "older" cars.

hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Code P0725 on a 99 w 2.4 & AT