Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

01 noisy fan in dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:21 PM
dbole
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 noisy fan in dash

My wife has an 01 Stratus that has been having some issues with what I believe is the heater fan in the dash. When we turn the fan on either 1 or 2, you can kind of hear the noise, like a growling noise. At 3 or 4, it causes the whole dash to vibrate and almost makes me think the thing will vibrateout of the dash. This also does it on the A/C setting, so its not just the heater. Is this something that is either out of balance, or could somethign be going bad? Any ideas would be appreciated, and any good ideas for tear down details for this area?
Thank you in advance.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either the blower was bent or the bearings are going bad

Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen this on another type of ride. something fell down into the fan and broke off a vane. after removing the fan we were able to "balance" the fan with a pair of wire cutters. we clipped off the rest of the vane and then did the same to the other side of the fan to balence it. we did a test run with a 9V batt (it's a dc motor) to make sure it wasn't the bearing before reinstalling.

the fan was wobbling and rubbing against the housing making ALOT of noise. you could just have some leaves or something down by the fan, either way, big job getting the fan out. happy motoring.

Quick Reply: 01 noisy fan in dash