Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2002 Dodge Stratus smells like it's burning rich

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 AM
things1did
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Stratus smells like it's burning rich

My wife has a '02 Dodge Stratus (SE w/ 2.4L engine). In the last couple of days it has begun smelling like it is running rich. Has anyone else had this issue? My gut feel is it is the O2 sensors are about to go. Before I run out and buy some sensors, I wanted to see if anyone had other thoughts.

Also, if you have changed the sensors before, are they difficult to get to? I have not had a chance to crawl underneath the car yet.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.oxygengeek.com/sensors/20...en_sensor.html

if you have a bad O2 sensor, you should also have a check engine light. have the code read at a major parts store for free to tell. you have one on the exhaust manifold (before the cat converter), and one after the cat converter.

running rich can be caused by a few diff things, some alot cheaper to fix than others. get the computer read, evan if there is no check engine light on (not all codes make them come on).

next Q: when was the last time you had a tune-up? sparkplugs, wires, airfilter, fuel filter, and so forth? mileage? every little bit helps to figure things out.

let us know the deal.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Stratus smells like it's burning rich