Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Oil Light On Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM
ranjon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Light On Sometimes

I have a 2004 Stratus 4 cyl. I just got the oil changed about 4 days ago. My oil light comes on sometimes when the motor is hot. I can drive 10 miles and the light will come on after i drive 10 miles. Sometimes i can drive 10 miles and the light doesnt come on. I took it back to the place where they changed the oil and they checked my oil and the oil plug and everything is OK. They said it needs to be checked with a computer. Is there any way to do that without taking it into the shop? Is there anything I need to do? Is it OK to drive with the light on? I check the oil regularly and it's OK.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
tomthedog
Captain

could be a bad oil pressure sending unit. on the 2.4 this located next to the tranny on the exhaust side of the block. a pressure guage is the only way to tell for sure. might be more cost effective to have a shop do it, get a quote.

if this happened AFTER the oil change, talk to the store manager for a free oil change (LIKE RIGHT NOW befor the engine gets jacked up do to low oil pressure) with the correct wieght oil and filter, it may just be a bad oil filter (check out this month's "popular mechanics" on the magazine rack) or some other issue related to the same area.

bottom line: you need to figure out if this is an accurate warning light (bad oil pump, filter, or stuck oil by-pass valve) or a 'false' warning (bad sending unit or wires) before you damage the engine.

hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
ranjon

Thanks. Will do.

Quick Reply: Oil Light On Sometimes