Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Dodge Stratus 97 2.4 ... Transmission Fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Linkinxp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Stratus 97 2.4 ... Transmission Fluid change?

My car has 180000 miles . should I change the fluid for the transmission?
Fluid+O ring+Filter

if yes?

can i do it myself?

o by the way I have .. alldata software if someone need it

Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote would be no.

All lube oils have a type of detergent/cleaner package in them to keep sludge from forming and the internals clean. Over time this package gets used up, and sludge will form.

If you replace the ATF fluid it will come with a new package and start to clean all the sludge. By this time, every nook and cranny will have some sludge in it (think of sludge as sand holding onto the walls of EVERY fluid passage). When the sludge breaks loose it will not got to the filter first, and there are some very small valves, check *****, and other things that may/will get clogged up before the filter gets a chance to filter anything.

Or so I've been told by some old crusty hot-rodders who have used auto trannys from the junkyard. New ATF fluid might be different. Call around to a few AT repair shops. MAKE SURE you tell them you are broke, have no money, are doing yourself, and repeat the whole story starting from your post.

Happy Motoring

Quick Reply: Dodge Stratus 97 2.4 ... Transmission Fluid change?