Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Hard start / No acceleration / Fast shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 PM
dfct
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start / No acceleration / Fast shutdown

Hello guys,

I have a 99 Stratus (2.0L).

After having a PCM problem (shorted transistor of ignition coil), I have fixed the PCM (replaced the transistor). Took the PCM for a test in the car - car started perfectly, accelerated perfecly, was great. Started it 3 times just to make sure. (couldn't drive because the PCM wasn't completely done, had to apply some sealant and close it).

So I took the PCM off to pack it up.. And, as it was night, I waited next day to install it for good.
Next day I installed it, and went out to make a drive. But, for my surprise, car didn't want to start. Battery was a little weak, so I jumped it. No start either.
After a lot of cranking, it began to start sometimes. Now it often starts kinda easily (no need for so much cranking)...

Sometimes, it dies right after starting. Sometimes, it will run a lot with rpm ranging from 500 to 800, but no acceleration (if accelerate, rpm seens to drop).

A few things I noticed... Oil light is staying always on (but there's oil)... There's a constant "whirring" sound (very low) coming out of the panel, when key is in the "on" position (could be normal). Fuel and sparks seens fine. Sometimes, while cranking, there's a few white smoke coming out from the back of the engine (that happened before the problem too, I always tought it was just oil burning as my oil pressure switch was leaking a bit).
Also I have done the service manual "Failure to start test", which tests Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors. According to the results, they are both fine.

It's really weird as, one night, it was perfect, and next day it didn't even wanted to start.

Any tips on what's causing this? Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recheck the sealant ect you installed on the PCM , it worked before then after it didn't might be resistive/shorted or something

Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 PM
dfct
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bad venge
I'd recheck the sealant ect you installed on the PCM , it worked before then after it didn't might be resistive/shorted or something
yeah I tought about this.. But already opened it again and tried with it open, but no luck... maybe some soldering broke while screwing the cover back... but I doubt it... will check for it anyway...
Thanks for the tip!
Any more tips appreciated

Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either that or the transistor failed again maybe what took it out killed the new one

Quick Reply: Hard start / No acceleration / Fast shutdown