Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Shift Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 PM
philrod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Solenoid

Hi, I'm a newbe with a 1999 Stratus sedan with 91,000 miles on it. If I drive it over 60 mph, the check engine light comes on. My local garage says it's the shift solenoid. I had it replaced after it had happened several times, but still have the problem. The garage got the solenoid from a local auto parts store and both parties insist that it's new. (I've traded with this garage for 7 years and trust them.) While the car is used for running errands in a small town, very few highway miles, I would like some input from others who may be familar with this problem. Thanks. Phil

Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 AM
ratsttam
Captain

It would be helpful if we knew which engine trim you have. the '99 is available in a 2.0 and 2.4 4cyl, as well as a 2.5 v6. The components are drastically different between the 3 trims.

Have they checked the output speed sensor?

Do you have any of the codes that are being thrown by the computer? The more information you can provide us, the more helpful we will be.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
philrod
Default shift solenoid

Thanks for your response. I have the 2.4, 4 cyl. stratus. I don't have any of the codes & will have to take the car in to get them. will try to do that this week.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
ratsttam
Captain

If you have any store like autozone near your place, they will generally read the codes for you for free. Get them codes for us, and we'll go from there.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
philrod
Default shift solenoid

when the check engine light is on the code is P0740, "TCC control circuit error".

They say the output speed sensor is ok.

Thanks, phil

Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM
dude

I have a 2002 dodge stratus. It likes to rev high before it shifts. Automatic. I think it might be the shift solenoid. What do u think?

Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 AM
shana955

I have a 97 dodge stratus with 32,000 miles. I just bought it and notice that it jerked into a low gear while i was on freeway and the rpm went up to 4xRPM. engine light is on. and oil light blinks on when i come to a stop but as soon as i push the gas it goes off. I took it to a trans shop where they replaced the internal solinoids but its still doing the same thing. can someone tell me what to do? do i drop the pan and replace the block?

Quick Reply: Shift Solenoid