Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Problem with starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009 | 10:40 AM
JoeIrl
|
Default Problem with starting

I have a 97 Stratus 2.4 4 cyl she has 325000 kms i know a lot but the engine is sound until the other day she died while she was idleing and wouldnt start for about a half an hour then she did again and then died again and now she doesnt start now i have replaced the fuel pump module and filter and there is fuel getting into the injector ramp but still no starting i dont know what is worng does any body know af anything tha could help please

Thanks Joe

Old 03-19-2009 | 08:25 PM
Sand.Man

When you are trying to start it, are you pressing the gas pedal?

On fuel injected cars you should not touch the gas pedal while trying to start the car, this will flood the motor.

It may be flooded regardless, if it was cranking over a lot without firing... I might suggest removing the spark plugs and letting the cylinders air out for a couple hours and try again.

If that fails, check around where the cylinder head is mounted to the block for excessive oil/coolant leaking.

Old 03-20-2009 | 08:37 AM
ratsttam
Captain

If all SEEMS ok, have the fuel pressure checked. the fuel pressure regulator may be faulty, allowing too much gas and therefore flooding the engine. I would guess that having 200,000mi+ that you're well aware of how to properly start your car.
Also, are you able to get the computer read? Around here, a lot of auto parts stores will read engine codes for free.

Old 03-20-2009 | 09:12 PM
tomthedog
Captain

+1 for the engine codes. sometimes you will have an issue that won't cause the CEL to come on; check when you first turn the key to "on", the "CEL" should come on before just before starting, if not the bulb may be bad. the OBD II should tell you what's messed up (most of the time).

with the high KM's, i'd start with looking at vac lines and hoses (start with the cheapest stuff first). then go with ignition system. this can get pricey, try new plugs and then test as much as poss with a multi meter. you don't need to spend more than $30 US for one that will do all you need.

hope it's nothing more than spark plugs and wires, but it could be a sensor/s or the fuel injectors.

let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Problem with starting