Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

A/C is overheating and not working on dodge stratus 2002?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:14 AM
dodgestratus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C is overheating and not working on dodge stratus 2002?

On my 2002 Dodge Stratus SE 6 Cyl 3.0L the A/C after turning on starts to blow ice cold air. After about less then 5 minutes the light on the A/C **** starts blinking and warm air start blowing.

I have already refilled the A/C system so when it is blowing air correctly it is ice cold. Could it be the compress or motor for the A/C system.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The blinking light usually points to the compressor.

Here is a problem someone else had:
2002 Dodge Stratus R/T 3.0
Actually two problems with A/C. The first, The airconditioning would quit working after about ten to twenty minutes then the yellow led in the control switch would blink. I took it to the dealership and they replaced two sensors at the cost of 250.00 dollars and on way home same problem. I returned it back to dealership, they kept it for an additional week. I was called by dealership and they told me that I would have to change compressor. Total cost to replace was over eight hundred dollars. I took it to an independent garage, they kept it overnight and found the problem. The clutch on the compressor was not holding in, they pulled out a shim and it fixed the problem. He explained to me that overtime it requires more voltage to pull the clutch in because the clearance changes because of wear. By pulling out a shim the clearance brings it back to spec range, when voltage is applied it will then again hold the clutch.

The second problem was, my daughter was driving it the other day and smelled refrigerant then it started blowing hot air. Took it to the garage and found the leak in the high presuure line going to the condensor in front of the radiator was leaking. This is the thin 1/4 inch line that runs at the bottom left side of the radiator support frame. The mechanic noted that the line was rubbing against the frame resulting in a hole. To repair it he had to order a new line. The line itself cost 219.00 dollars plus 475.00 dollars labor.

After reading this you need to go out and check yours, make sure that your refrigerant lines are not near or touching items that could cause rubbing on the line. I wish I would have noticed it before it happened to me.

Quick Reply: A/C is overheating and not working on dodge stratus 2002?