Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 AM
DodgeStratus99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey does anyone know where i can find a engine swap for my 99 Dodge Stratus?

i have a dodge stratus 99 ...no R/T...trying to find a SRT but dnt no where to start looking for one

Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 PM
ratsttam
Captain

First off, the 95-2000 only came as a 2.0 i4 (typically with a manual), the 2.4 i4 (most common engine), and the higher end 2.5v6 (mitsubishi engine, not as common). Not sure what you are trying to do here, but making a strat faster isn't really an easy (or cost effective) task. If you have the 2.0 or 2.4 i4 engine, they will respond well to boost from a turbo, although all the engine internals will have to be upgraded to handle boost. There are no direct drop in engines to replace what you have. Custom fabrication can be extremely expensive too. Also remember that if you make the car faster, you'll need to be able to STOP the car, so upgrading your breaks, and making sure your transmission can handle the extra power... Just some thoughts.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 AM
DodgeStratus99
Default hey thanks

wow...thanks alot for that one...im glad i have someone to let me no whats up with it...no i have 200,000 miles on it and i want to keep the car as much as i can and add stuff but want the milge to go down or upgrade it... so thats why i asked...what year is urs? that was the same color i had on my car till i painted it....do u no any cheep places to get a turbo or supercharge? or lowering kit?

Riebs...

Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by DodgeStratus99
wow...thanks alot for that one...im glad i have someone to let me no whats up with it...no i have 200,000 miles on it and i want to keep the car as much as i can and add stuff but want the milge to go down or upgrade it... so thats why i asked...what year is urs? that was the same color i had on my car till i painted it....do u no any cheep places to get a turbo or supercharge? or lowering kit?

Riebs...
Mine is a 2000 ES V6 roughly 170,000mi and driving 500/wk. You didn't indicate which engine you have, so i'll be general here. The 2.0 and 2.4 respond well to a turbo. I wouldn't just hook one up though. You'll blow the engine before you get out of the driveway. You'll need to pretty much replace everything inside the block and head. If you've got the v6, it's not worth the time as there simply isn't enough room for the piping let alone the turbo and inter-cooler, and the HP isn't going to be much more (from Mitsu Galant owners who DID boost). Personally, I'm saving money to get a replacement engine for it for when it finally does fail. I love the handling of the wishbone suspensions, and I'm decked out with the all leather interior, so until it starts to rust out, it'll be worth replacing the engine and trans as they fail.
Lowering kits are somewhat easy to find. Mainly just shorter springs. I would personally just get stiffer springs and keep the ride height. There isn't much body roll to start with, and the lower height seems to speed up undercarriage rusting.

Quick Reply: Engine swap question