Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Aftermarket Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 PM
add|ct
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Header Question

Is it really true that some Neon '95-'99 performance headers work on the 1st Gen Stratus? I was looking at some long runners for a 2.0L neon that supposedly will fit on my '99 2.4L Stratus, but it will move the Catalytic converter obviously. Thats no big deal because I'm about to mod my entire exhaust anyway.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by add|ct
Is it really true that some Neon '95-'99 performance headers work on the 1st Gen Stratus? I was looking at some long runners for a 2.0L neon that supposedly will fit on my '99 2.4L Stratus, but it will move the Catalytic converter obviously. Thats no big deal because I'm about to mod my entire exhaust anyway.
You will have to compare them to be 100% certain. It was my understanding that the 2.0 stratus engine was shared with certain models of the 2.0 neon. I don't see a header from a 2.0 fitting a 2.4, nor do I see how a high performance 2.0 header (if it does fit) being much more open than the stock 2.4 header.
A good way to tell is to call your parts store, and see if the head gasket is the same between both engines. if it's a different part number, it's not likely to work. if it is the same, it'll bolt up.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM
add|ct
Rookie

Originally Posted by ratsttam
You will have to compare them to be 100% certain. It was my understanding that the 2.0 stratus engine was shared with certain models of the 2.0 neon. I don't see a header from a 2.0 fitting a 2.4, nor do I see how a high performance 2.0 header (if it does fit) being much more open than the stock 2.4 header.
A good way to tell is to call your parts store, and see if the head gasket is the same between both engines. if it's a different part number, it's not likely to work. if it is the same, it'll bolt up.
That is a superb idea. Good points too. I may just do a cat-back system. Do you know if its even worth getting the 'hi-flow' cat? I have this weird dent in my exhaust piping just after the converter but before the 2nd O2 sensor and its all rusted anyway so I was going to get a lighter, rust resistant piping into a new muffler. I'm not sure if I'll do 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 though.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by add|ct
That is a superb idea. Good points too. I may just do a cat-back system. Do you know if its even worth getting the 'hi-flow' cat? I have this weird dent in my exhaust piping just after the converter but before the 2nd O2 sensor and its all rusted anyway so I was going to get a lighter, rust resistant piping into a new muffler. I'm not sure if I'll do 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 though.
The cats can be quite restrictive. Check with your state emission laws to see if an aftermarket one is allowed, or if only OEM spec is allowed. I would go with the 2 1/2 pipe and high flow cat and muffler.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
add|ct
Rookie

Originally Posted by ratsttam
The cats can be quite restrictive. Check with your state emission laws to see if an aftermarket one is allowed, or if only OEM spec is allowed. I would go with the 2 1/2 pipe and high flow cat and muffler.
Alright, I'll look into laws about the cat, but hopefully I can do what you're suggesting. I'm undecided on getting a Skunk2 with a silencer or a MagnaFlow muffler.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Header Question