Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

cv shaft or wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Titanium
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv shaft or wheel bearing

Need help trying to figure out whether i have a bad wheel bearing or cv shaft on an 02 dodge stratus with a 3.0 v6. It makes a roaring noise as you gain speed and if you turn to the left a little bit the roaring noise will go away. I know for sure its one of the two i just would like to save some money and not buy the wrong thing to find out i needed to buy the other.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jack the car up and remove the wheel. Check the CV boot for rips or tears. If so, its good to replace the CV, and then while its out you can check the bearings for tightness.

If its not torn, I think you can jack the car up and grab the wheel, and see if something is loose by rocking it.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 AM
stratusoutlaw

You said it goes away when you turn left. What happens when you turn right? It sounds like a wheel bearing though. If it were a CV, you usually get more of a grinding/clunking/popping noise due to the dirt/sand/rocks getting into the joints of the CV. If you turn right and the noise gets louder, it is most likely your LEFT wheel bearing.

PROCEED AT OWN RISK.
If you have access to a lift. You can raise the car, start it, put into drive. You should not need to push the gas pedal, the wheels should start to spin on their own (you may have to stop the opposite side wheel from spinning while doing this.). You can then listen for the noise.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Titanium

Yea when you turn right the vibration gets worse if that helps at all. im leaning more towards the bearing be junk.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
stratusoutlaw

definitely sounds like it's the LF wheel bearing. but you said vibration now. is it more of a scrapping (metal on metal)?

Quick Reply: cv shaft or wheel bearing