Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Shifting issue Stratus 00

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:51 AM
morem
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shifting issue Stratus 00

I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4 automatic with 121,000 miles on it

When I am driving at like 50 mph the rpms go up and it does not want to shift, I have to take my foot off the gas and back on quick to make it shift.

It started doing this more often. I have had it parked for about 5 days and now I tried to move it today and it won't go. The rpms rev way up, but the car only goes about 5mph.

I used to have a 96 stratus and the transmission went out of that one, the car chugged alot, when that one went out. this time it is not the same symptoms. Is it still the transmission? I am just a girl who does not know alot about cars, so any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
ratsttam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say it, but it does sound like a transmission problem. It could be as simple as being low on trans fluid (make sure you use the proper ATF+4, as lower or "universal" will cause more problems).
There are many components in an automatic transmission that can (and DO) fail over time. Different parts will have different symptoms. Sorry if this doesn't help much, but it's worth checking the fluid level before taking it somewhere for service.

Quick Reply: Shifting issue Stratus 00