Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Strange idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 PM
daveyboy43
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange idle problem

Have a 2000 Stratus and when I first start it the idle is very rough almost wanting to stall out. If I turn the key off right away and restart the engine the idle seems to be fine but the car is still a little sluggish for the first couple minutes off driving. The car seems to run fine after that but I noticed that when driving for example down a hill at 45 miles an hour with your foot on the brake when you go to accelerate as soon as you step on the gas pedal there is a slight hesitation almost as if the engine cuts out for a second or two when you step on the gas but then everything is fine and away you go. Please any suggestions are appreciated. Also there are no codes being thrown and the check engine light is not on.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:19 PM
discolphie
Default idle problem

Hey there,

I have a 1998 V6 Dodge stratus and have had the same problem. The previous owner of the vehicle took a look at the idle control valve and found that it was quite clogged and dirty and cleaned it with carbon cleaner. About 1 month after I purchased the vehicle I noticed the same problems as you are describing. Some other things to point out; I noticed with my car that the problem seemed to occur when the fuel tank was towards the lower end. This suggests the idle control valve is again clogged and needs to be replaced (from what I heard) or they may be problems with the fuel getting from the tank to the engine (I forget the name of the part).

The problem I have seems more like that latter now because of it arising when the tank is low. If there's a low tank, there's less fluid pressure to drive the gas in and the car tends to sputter. If it's a full tank, there's greater hydrostatic pressure driving the fuel in and there's less problems seen.

I'm taking the car in now to get it checked out because I'm also having problems overheating.. will let you know. Please let me know if you find out something else. Good luck!

P.S. I also have times when the check engine light goes on and then off. On one occasion where the car sput out and the engine light was on, I had the car looked at and the computer did not show any codes either. They also couldn't duplicate the problem with stalling out! So I know it's frustrating.

Last edited by discolphie; 07-27-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM
discolphie
Default possible solution

Hey, you may want to get your throttle body serviced. It could be the issue. Best of luck

Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM
joe0121
Professional

Idle Air Control Valve seems to be the culprit. Also, might want to give your MAFS a good cleaning while your at it.

Quick Reply: Strange idle problem