Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

96 Stratus 2.4L Camshaft Sprocket Alignment marks won't line up

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM
devers6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Stratus 2.4L Camshaft Sprocket Alignment marks won't line up

I am changing the head gasket on a 1996 Dodge Stratus 2.4L due to oil leak problems. I have the disassembly down to the point where I need to remove the timing belt, but I can't seem to get the alignment marks in the camshaft sprockets to line up in the center. I have rotated the crankshaft pulley multiple times and they never line up. After two revolutions of the crankshaft, the rear (exhaust?) mark seems to be in roughly the same position as the front sprocket, almost as if the factory mounted the same sprockets on each camshaft. It looks like they have identical markings on the sprocket (on one web it says "FRONT 2.4L" and on the other is an arrow and the word "UP").

This is a low mileage car (50000 actual) that has never had any significant work done until now, so it must have come from the factory this way. It was running fine, I'm only doing the head gasket because it was leaking significant oil. Has anyone ever seen this kind of situation before? Do I have to rotate the crankshaft many, many times before they come into alignment? (I have maybe turned it 20 revolutions, all clockwise). I suppose I can get it into where I believe the correct mark should be and add my own, but I'm nervous enough about getting this right and I don't want to add any additional variables if I don't have to.
Thanks for any help,
Dave

Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 AM
add|ct
Rookie

I had my timing belt done on my 1999 2.4L and my mechanic said he had to go get another diagram for lining up camshaft marks. From what you describe, it sounds like the same problem he had. I'll try to find that diagram he gave me that finally worked for him. I think its off by 1 factory. I remember my mechanic saying I had been running with it off a notch, but the belt had never been replaced before.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 AM
add|ct
Rookie

OK here is the diagram I found. Personally, I think the timing may be off by 1 period? He claims he 'fixed' the marks to match this diagram, but I drove it home and back with a strange new way to experience rough driving. I took it back to him within the same week, he says 'fixing the timing found a bad plug' and claims to have just replaced my plugs.

Honestly? I believe he tried to fix a problem that wasn't there, lied about replacing my plugs to cover his mistake(he says he put NGK's in there but when I checked them they were Bosch Platinum's?), and simply put the notch back the way it was when he replaced the original belt in the first place.

You know, ever since then the belt is rubbing against the top of the timing belt's cover. I can probably just take it back off again and let you know if the notch is off one or not.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Stratus 2.4L Camshaft Sprocket Alignment marks won't line up-timing-001.jpg  

Quick Reply: 96 Stratus 2.4L Camshaft Sprocket Alignment marks won't line up