Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1996 stratus 2.4L rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 AM
millede
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 stratus 2.4L rebuild?

A year ago, my 96 stratus began to leak oil from what seemed to be the rear main seal area (trans bell housing). I noticed it changing oil one day. The leak was class 1, by military definition, meaning that a wetted area was building up. The condition has gotten progressively worse. I can now watch it drip with the engine sitting at idle. This past weekend I pulled the engine with intent to change out the rear main seal. However, now I am contemplating, since I have the engine out should I rebuild it before I put it back in? The car has roughly 170K miles on it, but still runs great. Cost is a major factor, the blue book on the car is only a $1000. The cost of a rear main seal is $16 and I have not been able to locate a rebuild kit to consider. Does anyone know of a kit supplier that they can recommend that is affordable?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 PM
HearseNurse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If cost is a factor, and it is still running good, I would put the engine back in and keep driving it the way it is, after you change the seal. You may get another couple years before you need to rebuild, then you may trade it in on another car and save yourself the trouble.
But...that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: 1996 stratus 2.4L rebuild?