Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 stratus coupe R/T - Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:56 PM
clayeth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 stratus coupe R/T - Experiences

I'm considering buying a 2004 stratus R/T coupe. However, I've seen really mixed opinions on the reliability of the cars. Performance and personal opinion on looks I can take care of, but I have to rely on others for this information, as I don't own one yet. So please, let me know how it's gone. Have you had any issues with the newest generation of the stratus, particularly the coupe?

I've hears mostly good things about the reliability of the coupe, and mostly negative about the 4-door. However, reviews on both are mixed.

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:03 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2004 stratus coupe R/T - Experiences

i kick the CRAP out of my coupe...i have since the day i got it...between autocross courses and the drag strip...countless 120+ mph highway jaunts...it has given me no problem..i am just now running into a motor mount issue..which i will have to fix..but its not broken, just getting noisy, and i plan to buy a solid mount to fix it. while my car is taken care of well..i changed the oil every thousand miles for the first 40k...and now i do every 3k...syntech only...regular tune ups...so on...if you take care of it, ill be amazed if you have any problems..my only regret was buying an autostick instead of a manual due to some health issues around the time that i bought it (blew out my left knee, couldnt push down the clutch) but i have driven a manual, and theyre great...as much as i love my car, i wont do any Big projects because i want a stickshift car...but if you have any particular questions about the RT coupe...feel free to PM me...if you have particular sedan questions, post them here and im sure one of our sedan guys will answer it.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
clayeth

Thanks, I'll message you at some point I'm sure. I'm pretty much set on the coupe if I do go with a stratus. I don't see any reason at all not to.

Also, along with getting your personal stories, what are some of the common problems that do arise. All cars have a few issues that seem to show up often, just curious to see what they might be. And if they don't apply to the mitsubishi, coupe, V6 versions I don't really care

The new stratus has had my attention since its redesign, but so has the new Mazda6. Unfortunately, I've heard some negative things about them. Too many drivetrain issues, automatics not shifting well in the cold, excessive fluid leaks, and the engine is weak up until about 4000 rpm. I chalk those up to the fact that it's a ford engine, but maybe that's just my personal bias. Anyway, the information I get on it is so mixed that it makes me nervous. I wish they would put a better, non-Ford engine in them for 2006. Because with the exception of the bastardized power curve, the test drive I went on last week was wonderful. I really don't want to have to deal with issues like this. My current car, a 97 Grand Prix has had far too many issues, and I've learned to put more work into figuring out how a used car has been treated and taken care of in the past. I've replaced the transmission and have a couple small, lingering issues that nobody seems to know how to fix.

Unfortunately, I have yet to get the opportunity to drive a stratus. I tried a couple dodge dealers, and none of them have any new or used R/T coupes . . .wtf?

So, keep the stories coming guys, I really appreciate it.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:53 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

ok..i know someone who is a complete pro-ford and pro-mazda guy...he bought a mazda 6 loaded...sport package...5 speed..the works...and had it less than a year...he hated it..and after getting served by my "lowly V6 RT"...he traded it, and took a big loss, on a new RX8...and now he gets like 10mpg..which is the plight of all RX8 owners...
but anyway...here are the problems that i have heard of...and ive talked to, literally, hundreds of owners, having worked for a dodge dealership...and belonged to several stratus clubs...

1. my sunroof doesnt work
2. my suspension is noisy
3. there is a phantom creaking noise coming from the passenger side dash area.
4. when its cold outside my engine makes a noise when i put it into gear..(motor mounts)
5. my tilt steering wont move, at all.
6. my stereo wont work although it has power
7. i have a sputtering engine...

ok...i have experience numbers 2,4, 6, and 7....

number 2 is due to the low clearances with the suspension, but mine only does it once in a great while...usually when cold out...its like a minor creak...

number 4..when you beat any car as i have mine, the motor mounts take a beating...and i do have 50k on my car.

number 6..my amp died...i fixed it by putting in a huge system...

number 7, when i installed my first aftermarket cold air intake, i had a small gap near the throttle body and it was allowing unmetered air into the engine, which was making it over rich and making it miss...as soon as i changed back to the factory air box, it stopped..so i fixed the intake and it was fine...some people who dont ever bother tuning the car up have the same problem...buy iridium plugs, not platinum...NGKs...

Old 05-05-2005, 03:25 AM
clayeth

What didn't he like about it?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:11 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

he said it felt extremely under powered...i know that he had some mechanical recall issues with it..but i cant remember what...he had some phantom braking issue...the CD player stopped working and they gave him a hard time about fixing it...i think there was one final nail in the coffin,..but that is whats illuding me..

Old 05-05-2005, 01:35 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dove an 04 RT for several days while my ram was being exchanged from an out-of-town dealer. I felt like a good car. I can say that I've never heard anything bad about them as well.

Quick Reply: 2004 stratus coupe R/T - Experiences