Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Frozen tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:12 PM
boblc123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen tie rod

Hey guys. My stratus is a 2003 sxt sedan. I took it to have it alligned the other day and they told me the right front tie rod is frozen so they can't do the allignment. They said I should replace the inner and outer tie rod. I'm gonna take it to another mechanic and see if they can use a torch to heat it and "unfreeze" it. If this doesn't work, what would happen if I keep driving the car with a frozen tie rod? Will it just cause bad tire wear? Or could it be something more dangerious? I don't care much about the tire wear because I plan to trade the car in in the next year or so.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when you say it's frozen. You mean that when they tried to make the adjustment they could not turn it from its stem? You don't mean the ball joint itself is frozen? If the ball joint is frozen then yes it could be dangerous. But if its where you make the adjustment then in theory you could be just looking at bad tire alignment. Funny how they tell you that you need to replace it. In order to replace it you have to actually end up turning it from were you would make the adjustment anyway! I would get down there and spray it with some WD40 and soak it for a few hours. It'll come loose. Turn your wheels. Follow the lower ball joint to were you see some threads and WD40 the whole rod... Let us know...

Last edited by castlenut; 04-17-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:54 PM
boblc123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by castlenut
Your talking outer tie rod rite? Well when you say it's frozen. You mean that when they tried to make the adjustment they could not turn it from its stem? You don't mean the ball joint itself is frozen? If the ball joint is frozen then yes it could be dangerous. But if its where you make the adjustment then in theory you could be just looking at bad tire alignment. Funny how they tell you that you need to replace it. In order to replace it you have to actually end up turning it from were you would make the adjustment anyway! I would get down there and spray it with some WD40 and soak it for a few hours. It'll come loose. Turn your wheels. Follow the lower ball to were you see some threads and WD40 the whole rod... Let us know...
Yes, I'm assuming it's frozen where you make the adjustment because he said he couldn't adjust the toe because it was frozen. I will spray some WD40 on it and see how that goes. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Frozen tie rod