Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 Dodge Status engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 01:16 AM
nicv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Status engine light on

I have a 2004 Stratus automatic with 15,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on and had trouble shifting.
Took it to the Dodge Dealer and the mechanic said "It was stuck in second". Quoting from the work order "Internal Open Circuit inside of solenoid pack, R&R Solenoid pad, cleared codes. Quick learned. Works to specs." Ok so they fixed it, so I thought. Today it came back on and it had trouble shifting. It is still under warranty so I didn't pay for it but still highly upset about it coming back on. Is this their error, do they not know what it is exactly? Can I still drive it? Obviously not when it is racing like it is but that seemed to only happen when the light only actually came on. Please any comments, help me!

Old 06-02-2005, 02:55 AM
John_E
Default RE: 2004 Dodge Status engine light on

The solenoid pack controls the transmission. The open circuit probably means that one or more solenoid coils burned out. If the problem keeps recurring, there may be an underlying unresolved cause behind it. This should still be covered under warranty.

Have you had any other electrical problems with the car, such as burned out light bulbs? Have them run a full check of the electrical system, particularly the voltage regulator, as high-voltage spikes can cause various electrical failures.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
mom2vanessa

Wow. I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus too! The engine light came on and other than that I didn't have problems like you stated. I still took it to the dealer and that is where it is this morning. I am hoping for good news about this. I have to drive my dad's 96 Dodge Neon to work and I rather have my car back.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:22 PM
nicv

After taking it back and forth to the dealership for a week and a half after they supposedly fixed it. They finally changed out the computer system in my car. This is a dealer in a small town outside of Ft. Polk. I feel that I would have had it back sooner if it were a bigger town and maybe someone who knew a bit more about it. Maybe, maybe not but if I had to keep paying to take it back instead of it being under warranty that would have been more upsetting. You would think that buying a new car you wouldn't have any problems with it the first couple of years. I didn't even have my car a year yet before this happened. Of course it had to happen in a small town, with my husband gone, and a dealership with no shuttle service. Having to take a taxi 3-4 times with a 1 year old with a carseat sucks! I haven't had any problems with it since and as any good Army wife does, I sucked it up and drove on!
Hope you hear good news about your car!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 AM
mom2vanessa

They found nothing wrong with my car. They think that after I put gas in the car that it sensed a air bubble and set the light on! I was happy to get my car back!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Hopefully that fixed it, I was going to suggest telling them to replace the solenoid pack itself, usually this is the culpirt. Computers don't go bad that often.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:55 AM
mom2vanessa

I still have not had any problems since getting my car back on Monday. I am glad to have it back. They did suggest the 15,000 mile service that they charge for $395 and I said not right now. My husband said I can problem get the same service somewhere else for cheaper cause it wouldn't be at a dealership.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Status engine light on