Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 stratus no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
amie0773
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 stratus no start

Hi everyone,

my 2000 dodge stratus (2.4) ran like a dream until it busted a timing belt (bad water pump). I replaced the water pump and the belt, and the car didn't start. I pulled the head thinking it bent some valves. Machine shop said the head was good. I put the car back together--still no start. I checked the timing marks, again and again and again....still no start.

I replaced the coil pack, cam sensor, crank sensor...still nothing. It turns over, but i doesn't start. Its got good compression, and i even pulled a plugged and grounded it: i see spark but not a strong one. The only thing I can see is bad is the PCM. It's baffling, because the car quiet bc the timing belt popped: I've replaced tens of them before, and nothing like this has happened. What do you folks think? it

many thanks in advance for your sage advice.

Ernest.

Last edited by amie0773; 06-01-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added info (year)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM
mrandmrspeck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive dealt with this before with timing belt issues. i know that if there is less than 5 ohms at the computer the computer is bad. i wish i could remember exactly at what points to measure, but its been awhile. i do know that there has to be atleast 7 volts to both and cam sensor and crank sensor. my suggestion would be to subscribe to mithchell for the do it yourselfer and it will tell u step by step how to diagnose the computer. i use mitchell all the time. it cost 11 bucks for a week for one car. if i can remember step by step ill post back.

Quick Reply: 2000 stratus no start