Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

very bad coolant leak 1999 stratus

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Essix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very bad coolant leak 1999 stratus

I need help identifying a leak on my stratus. It developed a coolant leak the other day and i actually had to pull over and call AAA to tow it home. i have replaced the thermostat in it so far, and put some coolant leak stopper ( the good stuff) in to see if it would stop. i let it run for about 10-20 minutes after and it seemed fine. fans would kick on and cool it down then shut off when its cool enough. So i took it for a ride just down to the store and it started overheating and when i got out of the car to look under it, it was leaking coolant realllly bad from underneath behind the AC motor. I cant really see if its a hose or not because i cant get underneath it, but from what i can see is its running down the oil filter from somewere. Its a 1999 2.5L stratus. thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest way to check for coolant leaks is to add some coolant dye to the system. You shine a black light on where you suspect the leak. The leak will appear florescent.
You could use a pressure tester, or a tester with dye. Use the black light in a poorly lit area as they usually don't throw much light.

Quick Reply: very bad coolant leak 1999 stratus