Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

98 Dodge Stratus ES - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
jEly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Stratus ES - PLEASE HELP

Hi,

I have a 98 Dodge Stratus ES 2.5L V6 and I am having a problem that I just can't figure out. PLEASE HELP!

When I first start my car it runs and sounds great. As I am driving, it sounds great. Now, after I have driven and come to a stop, there is a ticking, clapping noise coming from under the hood. Once I apply the throttle it gets a little louder, and then completely stops.

This is just an intermitten problem, but usually does occur. If I turn the car off when it is ticking, and then back on, it doesn't do it....then when I drive and come to another stop, it starts it again. Also, if I come to a stop and it is making the noise, I can put the car in neutral rev to about 3k RPMs and release and the noise is gone. It does seem to be doing it more and more often and getting a little louder. The strangest thing is, it changes pitches and loudness every time. One time it could be really faint, and the next time I stop it could be loud.

Any help would be awsome. Thank you EVERYONE!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 PM
kiwicowboy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an oil pressure related problem. Not knowing how many miles are on the engine and how often the oil is changed and what oil is used there is no was to diagnose the problem any further.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM
jEly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is 176K on the engine...and I change the oil every 3-4K miles and I use 10W-30. I thought it could be an oil pressure issue....could it be caused by the oil pressure switch?

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Stratus ES - PLEASE HELP