Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 PM
nate31891
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers

hi people, i need a little help. i USED to drive my 1997 Chrysler Concorde LX, but it is crap. the tranny is shot, the muffler is cracked, the tires are bald, and a sensor issue has the gas go to the floor wen in R. and recently the brakes on it went, so i looked around and found this beautiful 2000-2001 Stratus with an ES trim. by the way, for future reference, i call stratus's Rats. so i got my rat, and on day 2 the battery went dead. it was the original, the guy i bought it off of didnt know about the battery being the original, so he went out and bought me a duralast. the rat is forest green and has a Panasonic aftermarket radio in it. i tested it and the radio works fine. i noticed that my front speakers work just fine but i couldnt hear anything out of the rear speakers. so i got in the back and noticed they werent plugged in. i have worked on home speakers before, so im sure i can work on the rears. my question is what do i need to fix them equipment-wise?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM
ratsttam
Captain

First off, being an ES, it's a 95-00, won't be an '01.
I take it you have plugged them in? Take a volt tester and see if there is any power coming down the wires (are there two or four on each side?). If there are 4 on each side, you have the premium 8 speaker setup (2 dash, 2 front door, 2 6x9 rear, and 2 tweeter rear). If this is the case, the door and large rear speakers are powered by an amplifier under the passenger seat. You'll need to be sure the blue wires on the harness are all tied together (amp+ p-antenna). This will signal the amp to kick in. The tweeters (dash and rear) are powered directly from the head unit.

Plug the rears in, and see what that does for ya. let me know what the result is.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 PM
nate31891

well i looked at the wiring earlier, and theres a big red one on the drivers side and a small blue one that got cut on the passenger side. i do know how to cut them, splice them, and meld them. theres the ones in the door plus the ones in the back. the ones in the back have plug things in the back like they were hooked up to an amp or something. so do i need any equipment for fixing them? or can i just use my wire cutters and meld them together that way? by the way, when i followed the red wire to the back, i almost got shocked because the other end of the wire was grounded. aside from that, is there anything i need to buy?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 AM
ratsttam
Captain

The clips and brackets are to make it easy to assemble at the factory. Plug it in, and you're good to go so to speak. If your wires require being spliced, soldiered, etc, than by all means, go for it.

As far as that powered red wire, not sure what that is (certainly didn't come with the car), unless it's an Amp wire (previous owner had amp/subs in the trunk). Find out if that wire has a constant 12v, or if it's only when the car or radio is turned on.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:54 PM
nate31891

Yeah, its an amp wire. i always thought that the wire connected the fuel injector directly to the gas tank. ok, the blue wires in the passenger side were cut in half. i tried to fix them to no avail they came apart regardless. so i cut a little of the cover from the front(passenger front seat area) and the back speakers still don't work. i have to keep my panasonic aftermarket radio down to 20-25 in volume or the bass cuts out my front speakers. any ideas on what i should do?

Quick Reply: Speakers