Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Foglights and high beams???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM
beef
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foglights and high beams???

I have a 96 es with the factory foglights. Is there an easy way to tie the foglights in to the high beams? Most of my driving is in the dark and thought this might be a good way to shed a little more light on the situation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
ratsttam
Captain

I am finding that most states have laws against driving with the highs/fogs on at the same time. There may also be a federal DOT law.

If you feel lucky (and I was for a long time, let me tell ya, in PA it's a nice hefty fine) you can jump a wire from your high beam relay to the fog lamps. I would have to find the wiring diagram for this car to know for sure which wires to jump/splice together.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional
Default Fog Lights/Hi Beam

The problem with connectiong the fogs to the high beam is that if you turn the fog lights on the high beams will also come on. You have to put a diode in the line between the high beam and the fogs. The diode must be capable of handling 10 AMPS ( a bit of an overkill). The anode goes to the hi beams, the cathode to the fogs. Radio Shack will tell you which is which.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 AM
beef

How about isolating the foglight switch from the headlights or running a new wire/switch so they can be turned on/off independantly of the headlights?

Any more ideas?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by beef
How about isolating the foglight switch from the headlights or running a new wire/switch so they can be turned on/off independantly of the headlights?

Any more ideas?
If you're going to go that route, it may be easiest to pick up a set of aftermarket lights (they run in the $25 range), and use the switch/relay that comes with that, and hook it to the wires going to your factory lights. Of course, you can also purchase a relay and switch, some wire from radio shack, not sure, but it may run you the same, and you will still have to figure out how to wire it all up.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 AM
esscee400

Originally Posted by ratsttam
If you're going to go that route, it may be easiest to pick up a set of aftermarket lights (they run in the $25 range), and use the switch/relay that comes with that, and hook it to the wires going to your factory lights. Of course, you can also purchase a relay and switch, some wire from radio shack, not sure, but it may run you the same, and you will still have to figure out how to wire it all up.

x2

And then afterwards, take the foglights back to the store and return them for not having the switch and relay included

Quick Reply: Foglights and high beams???