Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Mushy Brakes after a front pad change ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM
thaddy1978
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mushy Brakes after a front pad change ONLY

This is the 3rd time changing brakes in this 97 stratus...and I have changed them on my other numerous vehicles as well as friends vehicles and have never had this issue. I went out and changed the pads--only removing the old ones, using a C-clamp to drive the piston back in and set the new ones in. Put it all together and I got mush. Pumped the brakes several times and not much better. It is bad enough I am not taking it to work tomorrow...it wouldn't stop on a dime or 10 yard-line. It feels almost as if I got air in the system, but I didn't do anything that would have causes that. Didn't open the valves or anything. Any help would be appreciated! Now something I realized I forgot to do when driving the piston back in, is remove the fluid reservoir cap. That wouldn't have done anything, would it? First time forgetting to do that.

Last edited by thaddy1978; 02-01-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 AM
thaddy1978
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just got in from replacing my paper-thin (okay, perhaps not quite that thin) rotors and the mushy has gone away. What gives?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because of the bad worn rotors. When ever I do any brake replacement, I always measure the thickness of the rotors. If they are getting close to minimum thickness, I automatically replace them. I also always resurface rotors/drums when replacing pads.

Quick Reply: Mushy Brakes after a front pad change ONLY