Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Battery light keeps going on

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
kcon15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light keeps going on

Back in August I had my battery replaced, and then in September my battery light went on one day but when I turned the car off and then restarted it the light was gone. After that it took a couple of weeks for the light to come back on, but once again if the car was restarted the light was gone. This has been happening for the last few months and I finally took it in to the shop thinking that I needed a new alternator, but I was told everything in the charging system was fine. They said they had the car running for a few hours and tried a bunch of things but couldn't get the battery light to come on. They said they checked the fuses and wire connections and there is no reason that they can find for the light to keep coming on. Of course, the very next day after driving the car for about 5 minutes the light came on once again, and continued to come on for the rest of the day. I've also noticed that when the light comes on the lights on my dashboard kind of fade in and out at points, and if I have my windshield wipers on (the lowest setting) they do not move in a timed sequence. Rather they will do a 3 or 4 quick swipes and then not move for quite a while, which is not how they used to work. I'm baffled as to what could be wrong, especially if everything checked out at the mechanic. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should be looking for or any ideas as to what could be wrong???

Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
carhatesme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sound like what im also going thru. it happens to me when i go thru a lot of water or deep snow but has happened while just sitting still. i think it has something to do with the belt not being tight enuff or needing a new belt.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need to get a DVOM and as soon as the light goes on, open the hood and measure battery voltage with engine running. Needs to be over 13.8V. I suspect maybe you have an alternator on the way out.

Quick Reply: Battery light keeps going on