Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Need a New Sound.. But Anti-Ricer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:27 AM
ModernDayCaesar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a New Sound.. But Anti-Ricer.

I've been interested in getting a new muffler lately. All the choices whether in stores or online at different sites.. All different prices but I have no clue what any of these sound like. I would rather not purchase muffler after muffler until I find the right sound that I want.

I'm looking for something real low pitched even when the RPM's are high. I don't wanna be that guy that passes you and sounds like your car is giving everything it's got at only 50MPH. But at the same time sound real beefy. At idle I don't even want it to be apparent that I have one. Maybe slightly!

Give me a recommendation to my specs and a video or even just a sound clip would go a long way for me.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Spartan0536

From what I have heard on youtube and on the streets, Borla and Flowmaster make some really nice sounding mufflers and they do not look "ricey". My friend put a Cherry Bomb on his 3.6L V6 95 Camaro and it sounded nice at low to mid but got kinda ricey at higher RPM's. Personally I am looking more towards the Flowmaster 44 Series as they offer good deep resonance that stays with it through out the whole RPM range.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

I got the Borla muffler on my 4.7L V8 Dak and sounds awesome!!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM
ModernDayCaesar
Rookie

The Borla sounds as if it has the crackling noise when the RPM's suddenly drop which I'm trying to stay away from. The Flowmaster sounds pretty decent. But I'm catching myself leaning towards an N1 Muffler.

I've heard a few N1's that sound really deep and smooth.. But at the same time I've heard a few that sound Ricey which I'm also trying to stay away from. I'm learning new terms like silencers and resonators but aren't 100% sure what they do as far as sound. Also I'm guessing that the sound will change when the same muffler is put on two different sized engines.

I'm only working with the 2.4DOHC and don't really mind if it increases performance or not, I'm just looking for the sound as stated. I've also read that a Straight pipe isn't a bad idea for the Stratus.

This is the sound I would like to achieve. | http://goo.gl/SXvAN

Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Spartan0536

I had a 2.2L DOHC 5SFE in my 1995 Camry a few years back and I put an N1 on it, also had it straight piped to the muffler and it was extremely ricey. Really your best bet is go with a flowmaster 44 series. No need to get a ricey looking and sounding muffler. The problem with a 4 Cylinder is that almost no matter what you do it will have a rice sound to it. Some of the best 4 cylinder sounding cars use either Flowmaster, Borla, or Magnaflow with a deep resonator, and high flow Cat.

Quick Reply: Need a New Sound.. But Anti-Ricer.