Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2003 cruise engageing on its own and engine surging

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011 | 10:56 AM
renkcip
|
Default 2003 cruise engageing on its own and engine surging

2003 stratus ext 2.7 automatic with 85k miles. The first thing that happened was the cruise control would engage and disengage almost immediately at highway speeds. I feel the gas pedal move, and the cruise light would come on and go out all on its own. It would do it about 50 times in a 30 min drive. I disconnected the on/off - set switch from the wheel and it continued. Then with the switch still removed it did it to me while stopped, killing the engine. Then a few days later it did it to me in reverse. After that I decided to remove the cruise control cable. I drove it for 60 miles with no issues, so I replaced the servo. All was good for only two days and symptoms have returned. I have since removed the cable again, but now it feels like the car is going to die and my speedometer is bouncing around when it surges. After about 15-20 mins the cruise light will not come on any more but it is still surging. I have been trying to find similar issues online with no luck. This is my first post and first issue with this car since I bought it in 06 with 29k miles. Thanks for any help at all.

Last edited by renkcip; 06-30-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2011 | 01:56 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

The cruise control is quite complicated. IT sets Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) when there is a problem. Have you checked the DTC's? The Power Control Module (PCM) controls the solinoid valve body. The Transmissiojn Control Module (TCM) controls overspeed reduction. A inproperly adjusted stop lamp switch can also cause problems.

Old 06-30-2011 | 06:10 PM
renkcip
|

I took it to advanced auto parts and they through the code reader on it even though I never got an engine light. No codes were present. The PCM and the TCM are the little grey computers in the front of the driver side engine bay? If they are I disconcerted the plug of the larger one that I believe to be the PCM and looked at the pins to see if one was bent. Everything looked fine no burnt smell or evidence of arcing. The wires themselves looked good as well. The smaller one I believe to be the TCM I was able to remove the cap but was unsure how to remove the canon plug. I’ve tried to find some diagrams but the only ones I’ve come across seem really vague and use different terminology. If they are not the ones in the front, where are they located? I tried to follow the wires back that plug into the servo but it looks like they run through the fender and I didn’t want to take it off just for a look see. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by renkcip; 06-30-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2011 | 01:22 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

The test procedure is three pages long for a 99, the only manual I have. I suspect it is close to the same for your 03. I wont send it as it may mislead you. Get a Service Manual.

Old 07-13-2011 | 02:46 PM
renkcip
|

Bought a refurbed pcm and had it programed to my vin and milage. All seems to be fixed. If any freaks out again Ill be sure to let you know. If anyone else has this problem hopefully they wont strugle as much as I did.

Quick Reply: 2003 cruise engageing on its own and engine surging