Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 stratus 2.5 no crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM
papajimmm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 stratus 2.5 no crank

2000 Dodge Stratus es 2.5 v6 autostick; 210k intermittent no crank/no start think it might be related to the factory anti-theft device. happened several times in last few days at varied times car hot/cold. first time it happened used remote to unlock car as usual and got in and no crank, put headlights on and battery seemed fine, made sure it was in park still nothing. disconnected neg battery cable and waited a few minutes and reconnected cable and she started and drove fine. after several starts/stops it happened again no crank no start; disconnected neg cable and waited half hour(had lunch) put cable back on and headlights started blinking/horn beeping, so shut them off with the remote and still would not start, waited a half hour with cable disconnected again and reconnected it and she started right up. Didn't use remote to lock doors etc next times but have still been having same results. left the neg cable disconnected overnight and put it back in am and still no start; left cable on and walked away for few minutes and returned and it started up and ran fine. just drove 250 miles in it this morning and now she will not turn over . AT A LOSS??

Old 09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
ratsttam
Captain

There should be a solid red dot on the dash if you're having an issue with the security when you try to start it. I lean away from the security/key as the problem though, based on your description. My '00 had a non-chipped key made (door only), and when I tried to use it to start the car, it WOULD START, but would shut off fuel after 3 seconds.

I would verify the cam/crank sensors.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM
papajimmm
Default rev crank sensor

would the sensors be an intermittent problem and keep the car from cranking/turning over??

Old 09-06-2011, 03:26 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by papajimmm
would the sensors be an intermittent problem and keep the car from cranking/turning over??
It happened on my 03 Town & Country. Was intermittent, would sometimes start for a minute, other times run for hours with no problem, other times absolutely nothing. If it thinks something is in the wrong position, it'll shut it right down to prevent major damage.

I would trace the wires first to see if the insulation is worn off in any areas.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
papajimmm

ok will buy a new crank sensor and take starter out to have bench tested. Still think it is something with the anti-theft, wouldn't start today no matter what i did, left battery hooked up and went in house afew minutes later the horn was going and lights were flashing (remote was in console) and when i tried to unlock door with key it would return to the lock position as soon as i let go of key. disconnected battery again and will see what happens in am.
The alarm/anti theft appears to work when i use remote to lock it; red dot flashes fast for a few seconds then blinks slowly showing it is armed and goes off when unlock pressed on remote, and lights up solid when key is in on position.

Quick Reply: 2000 stratus 2.5 no crank