Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

If you disconnect the oil pressure sensor will the car still run?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 AM
tclane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you disconnect the oil pressure sensor will the car still run?

I know its kind of an odd question but I think my mechanic may have pulled a fast one on me.

My 2001 SE 2.7L had a spun bearing so my mechanic and I pulled a used engine from a junk yard. He checked the engine out thoroughly and it had a blown head gasket but the bearings seemed fine.

He put the engine in (or so he says), fixed the head gasket problem and about 15 miles later the oil pressure light came on while idling. Once you gave it a little gas the light would go out.

I took the car back to him and asked him to fix the oil pressure issue. He did a pressure check and the oil pressure was fine. We changed the engine oil and replaced the oil pressure sensor. (He made a joke that he could just disconnect the sensor to make the light go out).

The light went out and the car drove fine for another 30 miles. Then the engine started knocking loudly again.

My questions are, if you disconnect the oil pressure sensor will the car still run? Will the check engine light come on? Would a good mechanic be able to tell if a used engine had bad rod bearings before he put the engine in the car?

Sounds like I got swindled, huh? He probably just left the old engine in the car, added some thick oil to the engine to hide the knocking and then took the used engine back to the junk yard and got a refund. He knew I was going to sell the car so he probably wasn't too worried about the repercussions.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM
dolittle
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My questions are, if you disconnect the oil pressure sensor will the car still run? Will the check engine light come on? Would a good mechanic be able to tell if a used engine had bad rod bearings before he put the engine in the car?
#1 Yes #2 maybe #3 no ( unless he puled the brg's and checked them. ) sound like you may need a new engine and a better mechanic.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

uh... used 2.7 engine is a bad idea on it's own.
I don't think he pulled a trick on you, the 2.7l engine is a sludge monster if you do not change it's oil religiously at 3k miles. Usually if you pull the head off and see any sign of sludge, he should have sent it back.
I am going to say he probably got a bad engine from the junk yard. You can't tell the bearing's condition without pulling the it out and look at them.

Quick Reply: If you disconnect the oil pressure sensor will the car still run?