Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Timing Belt Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:41 AM
TZFBird
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GALVANIZEDYANKEE
OR take the cowards way out and cut the cover.
It's a Stratus.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

When I first started this job someone told me it was easier if I removed the engine. Someone else commented that it is a Stratus. In both cases they were right. In sixty two years of rebuilding engines this has been my worst nightmare. Admittedly I don't move as well as I used too . It should be done on a lift. Today was the final insult. The timing belt covers have rubber gaskets that fit in groves in the three piece cover. Mine were completed dry rotted. There are 13 pieced to the gasket set. Although Vel-Pro claims their gasket set will fit, it doesn't come close. The problem is there is no aftermarket gasket set. Dodge does not sell the 13 gaskets as a set. You have to order each gasket individually. The final blow is that half the gaskets are no longer produced.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

I'm going to end this saga by telling you I took the cowards way out. Using a Dremmel I cut a small section off the right side upper timing belt cover. I made sure the cut piece still had a bolt mounting hole. After I bolted the two pieces to the engine i took some black RTV and sealed the pieces together.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 PM
dodgetech02

there is nothing nice about the 2.5 .I have put a few of those "inexpensive distributors" in those

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Mystery