Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

So, how long should I expect this to last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Rocket67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, how long should I expect this to last?

I have a 2002 Stratus SE 2.7L Sedan and have gone through replacing all the stuff that needed to be replaced. Luckily it runs great and the trans seems to work fine (whines a bit but doesn't seem to be affecting performance and after driving it a while it seems to be going away). The oil was dirty but looking in the oil fill (cap on calve cover) it looks really clean. Putting 1000 miles on the oil and going to change again to make sure that all it good in the oil dept. I am giving this to my daughter, she will be driving it to work and back likely just 10-20 miles a day. The car still has less than 78K miles on it at this time so the big question is.....

How long should I expect this to last? Will this car get 150/180/200K miles before it dies? What is typical for this year model with the 2.7?

Maybe this is a little too general. Other than a few blemishes and some interior burns (previous owner, my mother, smoked in it) it looks pretty new. I am surprised on how tight the body is, the motor runs perfect, smooth and no hiccups. I have seen posts from people with 180K miles and they are still running good but that has to be the exception and not the rule. Just trying to get an average on how long these last. I hope that she can get at least 5 years and hopefully 10, she should be able to afford her own new car by then.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:49 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

Most new cars will realize 200,000 miles relatively trouble free. Provided they are maintained properly. thay are also help by the advanced technology incorporated in todays oils. Remember: Automobilies are a crap shoot.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 PM
ratsttam
Captain

With that 2.7, don't ever skip oil changes. The oil passegs in the engine are pretty small, and sludge is prone to building up and clogging them. This is where the 2.7 ends up with a pretty short life span. If you keep up on oil changes and maybe use a synthetic, or good blend, than you should have no problems going upwards of 150k+mi.
Maybe you can find out from the previous owner the maintance records. If the oil hasn't been taken care of properly, you may or may not be able to reverse the damage. Good luck with it, should be a good car otherwise

Old 11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Rocket67
Professional

Originally Posted by ratsttam
With that 2.7, don't ever skip oil changes. The oil passegs in the engine are pretty small, and sludge is prone to building up and clogging them. This is where the 2.7 ends up with a pretty short life span. If you keep up on oil changes and maybe use a synthetic, or good blend, than you should have no problems going upwards of 150k+mi.
Maybe you can find out from the previous owner the maintance records. If the oil hasn't been taken care of properly, you may or may not be able to reverse the damage. Good luck with it, should be a good car otherwise
My mom had it from new and said that she kept the oil changed. I am pretty sure they used synthetic as well. Not much for changing struts and ball joints but they did keep the oil changed. Hopefully we'll get some good use from it. I am into it for a total of $1500 so even if it's out in a couple of years it's not the bad but I would like to see if go for a while. My daughter (18) loves it but hasn't taken her drivers test yet so I can't give it to her just yet.

Quick Reply: So, how long should I expect this to last?