Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

It jerked and died :/

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Car_Noob7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy It jerked and died :/

Hi, im not too familiar with the mechanics of a car, i know the best thing to do is to take it to the mechanic and just have them deal with it, but im short on money and if i could figure out whats wrong with it maybe i can cut some costs that way, anyways

The car is a Dodge Stratus 2000 135 k
I just got an oil change on it a couple of days ago, and they told me the boots were torn and needed replacing but that it could hold off for a few weeks, they also said the air filter needed replacing which i was going to do this week, when i was on my way to work the temperature of the car dropped all the way and it jerked right before it died completely, im not sure what exactly happened but it wont start up again, i was wondering if anyone had an idea of what it might be, i cant even find the battery apparently its under the car :/ .

Thanks in advance for all who try to help im desperate

Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
BillS
Captain

is it a sedan or coupe and what size engine,did you check oil/coolant are they ok. if its a sedan battery is located in driverside bumper in front of tire(either turn tire all the way to right or take off tire(think its easier to take off) then remove plastic pins holding splash shield(plastic around fender) on to get to battery, does it crank at all,if so is it normal or faster then normal,

Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, sounds like timing belt to me.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could possibly be your timing chain, If so then you probably have some serious engine damage from it. My sisters 2000 mitsubishi eclipse had a timing chain snap and it dropped a piston and cracked the block.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:56 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
It could possibly be your timing chain, If so then you probably have some serious engine damage from it. My sisters 2000 mitsubishi eclipse had a timing chain snap and it dropped a piston and cracked the block.
Just to clarify- the 2000 Eclipse has a timing belt which probably broke, letting a valve crash into the piston. You would have a bent valve, a cracked piston, and the engine block shouldn't have sustained any damage.

A broken timing belt/chain is a big headache on an interference engine, but its not completely catastrophic.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by BillS
is it a sedan or coupe and what size engine,did you check oil/coolant are they ok. if its a sedan battery is located in driverside bumper in front of tire(either turn tire all the way to right or take off tire(think its easier to take off) then remove plastic pins holding splash shield(plastic around fender) on to get to battery, does it crank at all,if so is it normal or faster then normal,
If the year is correct, I can guarantee it's a sedan. There was no coupe until '01. Only the 2.5v6 is a Mitsubishi (Galant) engine, and is interference.
The dodge 2.0 and 2.4l 4cyl I am not certain if they are interference or not, but I think I read somewhere they were not.

Last edited by ratsttam; 02-01-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Rocket67
Professional

Lots of info missing....

When it jerked...did the wheel spin violently or did the car just pull right really bad?

Won't start....or won't turn over when you engage the key?

Temp dropped....inside the car or the little temp gauge pointed to the "C"?

Where is the car now?

Quick Reply: It jerked and died :/