Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1998 plymouth breeze expresso spun bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 PM
neown420
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 plymouth breeze expresso spun bearing?

First off ill apologize if there's another thread on this, I'm on my phone so its a bit slower loading everything.
1998 Plymouth breeze expresso 2.4l dohc automatic
I was passing a car the other night when the car decided to downshift to first and redline the crap outta the engine. then about a half mile down the rd i heard a clanking noise( almost sounds like a golf ball bouncing around in the motor with an added sqweaking noise. i only drove a mile once it happened nd started it a few times. is it not worth the labor to replace 1 bearing even if i try myself. or am i better off throwing some thick oil in there and praying ill make it to the junkyard for the 350$? The car only has rust on the sideskirts and it has 170000 miles.
thanks for your time

Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 AM
classicfan1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, a decent used car costs around $3,500 and up around here so I would seriously consider getting it fixed because I doubt it costs that much. Especially considering what little rust your car has.

First of all, you're car down shifted and redlined because it went into "limp mode" This happens whenever, for whatever reason, the communication between the engine and transmission messes up. It can be something as cheap as a dirty ground wire or something pricey like a rebuild. It is supposed to protect the drivetrain from further damage.

Secondly, this is definatly not a spun bearing. If that were the case, you wouldn't be driving at all. With the clunking noise, I would look into the transmission or possibly something wrong with the cylinder head. If your are not good with cars, I would highly recommend a good mechanic to look the car over.

Quick Reply: 1998 plymouth breeze expresso spun bearing?