Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2002 Stratus; heating and cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
henrok76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Stratus; heating and cooling issues

When i turn on the headlights at night, while the heater is on, the heater shuts off and the defrost comes on. Only blowing cold air. So during the winter, we have no heat in the car. Also, The fan only works on high when running the air during the day. I've checked all the fuses under the dash, and under the hood. Can someone please help!!!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
BillS
Captain

do you have a sedan or coupe? does the fan work on other speeds if air is off?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM
henrok76

I have a Sedan. Fan only works on high when using the air.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM
henrok76

I works on other speeds when using the heater.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
BillS
Captain

theres a bulletin about that problem, body control module and hvac need recalibrating this is a summary try removing fuse # 5(should have a cover over it that has to be removed to get to it) in fuse box inside drivers door(or you can unhook battery) for at least 10 minutes , reinstall fuse(or rehook battery) start car let idle at least 5 minutes,then check if that helps. copy of bulletin
A/C and Heater Performance

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin provides diagnostic information for A/C and heater performance complaints.
MODELS:
1998 - 2004 (LH) LHS/300M/Concorde/Intrepid2001 - **2005** (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan
NOTE :Perform Customer Satisfaction Notification no. 857, reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM), for 2000 model year LH-vehicles built prior to August 30, 1999 (MDH 0830XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Erratic operation of the A/C and heater systems including:
^Lack of cold air
^Lack of hot air
^Unrequested mode change - Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) only)
^No control of mode or temperature control
^Tapping noise from blend door

The above Symptoms may be accompanied by the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
^Blend door feedback
^Blend door stall
^A/C control mode door input shorted to battery
^Mode door stall
^In car temp sensor failure ATC messages not received

DIAGNOSIS:
^Do not attempt to remove A/C control until after this entire Diagnosis and Repair Procedure has been performed.
^Verify customer reported symptom(s) if possible.
^Check for the presence of DTCs with the scan tool (DRBIII(R)) and record on the repair order. If a DRBIII(R) is not available reference the appropriate Service Manual - Heating and Air Conditioning "Self Diagnostics" procedure and record any present DTCs on the repair order. If Symptoms and/or DTCs other than those listed above are present, repair as necessary. If a Symptom(s) and/or DTC(s) listed above is present, perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1.With the vehicle at room temperature 10°- 27°C. (50°to 80°F.), remove the M-1 circuit fuse for ten minutes to erase DTCs.
2.Install the M-1 fuse and start the vehicle, this will initiate the HVAC system calibration. Allow approximately five minutes for the calibration to complete.
3.Operate the vehicle and HVAC system to verify that Symptoms and/or DTCs are gone. If tapping noise or Blend Stall/Feedback DTCs re-occur, additional diagnosis will be required.
POLICY:

Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
henrok76

I'll try it out tomarrow and let you know how i make out. Thanks for the help..

Quick Reply: 2002 Stratus; heating and cooling issues