Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

01 Stratus ES, oil pressure lite on while idling

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:16 AM
bsreyns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Stratus ES, oil pressure lite on while idling

Appreciate any advice on the following:

I've had the oil pressure lite flickering on recently following my usual 20 minute high speed commute down the GSP. I roll to a stop and while idling at the traffic lite, the lite flicks on. Once I accelerate, the lite goes out. Same behavior on the commute home, 20 min high speed ride, no lite, come into my driveway and idle, lite flickers on. Otherwise nothing else to note. I had my local shop replace the oil pressure sensor last weekend, no change, same deal.

Am I looking at an oil pump replacement? How much should this repair run me? Or is it something electronic? I don't think much of my Dodge dealer near where I work, so I want to have some idea what this might cost.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 01 Stratus ES, oil pressure lite on while idling

i have to ask...have you had the oil level checked?

Old 09-01-2005, 10:51 AM
bsreyns

Thanks for your reply.

The answer is yes, had an oil change this past weekend at the same time they replaced the sensor.

Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm..and it was doing this before and after, im assuming. it sounds like the pump could be going south.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:21 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

seems like the stratus since 1995 is prone to this problem. My 96 has the same and Ive heard at least 10 other stories of this same occurance. In my case, the lite flickers at idle when the engine begins idling at 500 RPMs. Others have also noted the same RPMS when the oil pressure light flickers. In my case, the oil change was what started the light problem. The oil before it was changed was not changed at regular intervals and it took a while for the engine to acclimate to the new oil. I even had the oil changed from 5 30W to 10 30 W trying to solve the problem. After about 3 days of driving, the engine began to idle more normally and the light stopped flickering. However, it comes back when idling after highspeed drives. Might be the infamous head gasket problem, may be residual damage caused by leftover sludge of old oil, might be the computer adjusting or even the timing belt/chain.

So far the light flicker has not coincided with or caused any other problems with my vehicle. Despite the frequency of this issue with Stratus owners, there doesnt seem to be a cure-all for it yet. Maybe one of you Dodge Mechs might know of something, but right now I can only wait to see how the symptom develops...
Good luck and let us know if you find anything out

Old 10-24-2005, 11:40 PM
cpti830

yo i had this problem too for a wbhile oil level was fine now just today my motor is dead so i would keep a good eye on this little light

Old 03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
snookdogg2003

Has anyone figured out the problem? I have this issue with my car now!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:44 PM
snookdogg2003

I replaced the oil pressure sensor (cause it was cheap) and haven't seen the message since.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 AM
chris6641

I just had this problem on my 98 stratus, i replaced my oil pump sensor as well but it kept doing it, it ended up being on of my spark plug wires was on its way out and it wasn't running on all 3 cylinders, sounds like theexact same problem you described, check your wires?

Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
BloodRed
Professional

When my oil light was flickering I was because of 2 things. 1. the last time I had the oil changed the pit dumbies put the wrong oil filter on, (I have a coupe and they put the Sedan filter on, completely different engines and filters). 2. oil presure sending unit is dirty or needed replaced. After replacing both those things, I have never had the light come back on.

Quick Reply: 01 Stratus ES, oil pressure lite on while idling