Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 PM
vegastech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please

I am working on my 2000 dodge stratus for the timing belt.
The timing belt shreded because of the plastic shield rubbing on it.
I got a new one and am trying to replace it, but how do I know when the marks all line up that the number 1 piston is on the TDC comprssion stroke and not on the top of the exhaust stroke?
I would hate to find out after putting everything together that I have to rotate the crakshaft 180 degrees, and if the crank is off 180 degrees would the engine start? thanks for any help.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by vegastech
I am working on my 2000 dodge stratus for the timing belt.
The timing belt shreded because of the plastic shield rubbing on it.
I got a new one and am trying to replace it, but how do I know when the marks all line up that the number 1 piston is on the TDC comprssion stroke and not on the top of the exhaust stroke?
I would hate to find out after putting everything together that I have to rotate the crakshaft 180 degrees, and if the crank is off 180 degrees would the engine start? thanks for any help.
Which engine do you have? 2.0, 2.4, or 2.5v6? Our answers will depend on what you have...

I know that the 2.5 is interference, so if it's off by 180, your smashing things together if you try to start it...

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
vegastech

I have the 2.4 L engine.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 PM
BillS
Captain

i would recommend searching online for "2000 stratus 2.4 timing" and if you see any from justanswer.com check out that link usually they have good diagrams, i can never get diagrams to load right here or try this linkwww.justanswer.com/dodge/1kios-doing-timing-belt-2000-dodge-stratus-2-4-liter.html