Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Stratus - noise after brake job

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 AM
binky42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Stratus - noise after brake job

Did a DIY front brake replacement yesterday. Everything seemed to go well - no problems installing new brake pads and rotors. The tie rod ends seem fine, etc.

Decided to do everything myself for the first time, after being quoted an outrageous price from a shop. It's freaking extortion. Decided not to tell the shop that my mechanic did the rear brakes less than two months ago...and yeah, they told me I needed rears done. Liars!

Anyway...took it for a drive around the neighborhood after the brake job, and had a bit of noise when braking for a few miles then it went away. I'm assuming this is just the brakes bedding in. Brakes are quiet now, and feel good and responsive.

The problem now is a noise when driving along. It sounds like a rotational "chugging" sound. Doesn't really sound like grinding, and the wheels aren't feeling hot. I can hear it inside the car, but a person standing outside the car can't hear it over the regular engine noise. Almost seems like the noise gets worse the longer I drive it. It doesn't make the sound at all while braking.

I'm going to take it to my mechanic later this morning to double check my work. Only reason I didn't take it to him in the first place is because he's not open weekends.

Anyone have any ideas what this noise could be?

How much should I expect to pay my mechanic to just double-check my brake work?

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 AM
binky42

I'm hanging my head in shame.

Problem fixed.

It....errrr....kinda helps if you tighten the lug nuts.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:18 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Yes, that's kind of an important last step... (Been there, done that!).

The initial noise is normal with new pads/rotors installed.
Glad you caught it before your wheel decided to run off down the road without your car.

Quick Reply: 2000 Stratus - noise after brake job