Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

TPS Issue and No Trans Kick Down 2001 Stratus R/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPS Issue and No Trans Kick Down 2001 Stratus R/T

My sister back in early Spring of this year bought her Stratus R/T from her sister in law and has since had the biggest lemon of lemons (of course its the expensive mitsubishi parts that are the lemonish parts! not the mopar parts!). Anyway this car has looks to kill and power but I honestly think the nuke blasts in the 40's have affected the Japanese engineers in respect to the way they have designed things and thought things out...its junk as far as I'm concerned but is nice when it works.

Anyway One issue is the never ending O2 sensor issue that always pops up on bank 1...now please excuse my ignorance but Bank #1 should be the O2 sensors behind the engine next to the firewall?

The other issue is a never ending TPS code even after a new one was installed thats being thrown and my bonehead brother in law screwing with the adjustment in light of that code being thrown leaves any speculation up in the air about that.

The 3rd Issue is the kickdown not responding and the car shifting early, which results in a very slouchy stratus unless one uses the autostick and manually goes through the gears. I looked under the hood and could not find any place for a kick down cable to be connected to the throttle body which leads me to assume the kick down operation is electronically controlled by the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)....am I right to assume that? or is there some other method I'm not familiar with as to how Mitsubishi decided to control transmission kickdown?

If I can find these issues the car would be a great car to drive. No offense to anyone but I'd take the Neon's simplicity or a NA 2.4 over that Expensive Japanese Garbage anyday...or just a mopar controlled engine in general haha.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 10-10-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess the only thing worse than Mitsubishi's electronics are the support for them

Quick Reply: TPS Issue and No Trans Kick Down 2001 Stratus R/T