Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Knocking/popping noise from inside of car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Trypaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking/popping noise from inside of car?

Hello,
So last night I noticed a knocking/popping coming from my car when it is in “park” or “neutral” the noise is like a knock,knock,knock continually and I can feel it thump/pop through my brake pedal )pressed or non pressed). It doesn’t happen when I’m in drive or at stoplights or anything. Only when I’m in park or neutral and after a couple seconds I hear the knocking. I cannot hear it outside the car or when I open the hood. I can only hear it inside the car, sounds like its coming from the front of the car. Any idea of what this could be? I’m open to all suggestions I drive a long way to work and need my car for my job. I like to find out what problems are as soon as I suspect one.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Trypaw

Also this happens with 20 mins or so of driving until the car is warmed up then I pull into my driveway and start to park and its there,. If i turn on the car cold start and leave it in park it doesn't make this noise.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM
BillS
Captain

does it have ABS(antilock brakes) ,sounds almost like an abs problem
START-UP CYCLE
When the ignition is turned on, a popping sound and a slight brake pedal movement may be noticed. The ABS warning indicator lamp will also be on for up to 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on. These conditions occur as part of ABS self-diagnosis check. The popping sound is a result of brief activation of the solenoids in the integrated control unit.
NOISE AND BRAKE PEDAL FEEL
During ABS braking, some brake pedal movement may be felt. In addition, ABS braking will create ticking, popping, or groaning noises heard by the driver. This is normal and is due to pressurized fluid being transferred between the master cylinder and the brakes. If ABS operation occurs during hard braking, some pulsation may be felt in the vehicle body due to fore and aft movement of the suspension as brake pressures are modulated.
PREMATURE ABS CYCLING
Symptoms of premature ABS cycling include: clicking sounds from the solenoid valves; pump/motor running; and pulsations in the brake pedal. Premature ABS cycling can occur at any braking rate of the vehicle and on any type of road surface. Neither the red BRAKE warning indicator lamp, nor the amber ABS warning indicator lamp, illuminate and no fault codes are stored in the CAB.

Premature ABS cycling is a condition that needs to be correctly assessed when diagnosing problems with the antilock brake system. It may be necessary to use a DRBIII scan tool to detect and verify premature ABS cycling.

Check the common causes when diagnosing premature ABS cycling: damaged tone wheels; incorrect tone wheels; damaged steering knuckle wheel speed sensor mounting bosses; loose wheel speed sensor mounting bolts; excessive tone wheel runout; or an excessively large tone wheel-to-wheel speed sensor air gap. Give special attention to these components when diagnosing a vehicle exhibiting premature ABS cycling.

After diagnosing the defective component, repair or replace it as required. When the component repair or replacement is completed, test drive the vehicle to verify that premature ABS cycling has been corrected.

Last edited by BillS; 10-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Trypaw

Yes it does have ABS, does it sound like premature ABS cycling? Because I guess that's what I'm leaning towards. What exactly does that mean for the safety of my brakes?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM
BillS
Captain

it sort of sounds like premature cycling ,but hard to tell since it doesn't do it in drive.is your abs light on? does it come on and go off when you start car?most times when theres a problem(if the abs system recognizes it, it shuts off abs until its corrected);normal brake sytem still functions just no antilock(may take longer to stop during a hard stop or driving on gravel or dirt ,brakes may lock up)

Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Trypaw

My abs lights up when I start my car than goes off as usual, so no oddity there. My brakes however have been making a creaking sound since I got my pads and rotors replaced about a month ago. They only creak as I'm coming to a complete stop and only when my car is cold. I however have no clue if this is related to the noise and pulsation in my brake pedal but I think maybe they are tied together?

Quick Reply: Knocking/popping noise from inside of car?