Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Dodge stratus 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Sbatte72701
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge stratus 2.4

So few weeks ago I'm driving going about 45 and my bogged down, all the lights on the dashboard lite up, all the Gage's dropped to zero. Car lost complete power for a brief second. Went back to normal then proceed to act as if it was running out of gas. Bogging down and dashboard lights flickering until finally it dies and won't turn over. I left it over night came back the next day and it started right up. Ran like normal until it reached ideal temperature. It never overheated and hasn't but then repeated the same as above until finally dying. Then I left it over night again and again came back started right up and then the same process over again. So I thought maybe the fuel filter. Changed it no luck. Then I thought maybe the fuel pump. Sediment clogging it once it warmed up and once it sat it settled to the bottom and so on. But I had a mechanic check the fuel pressure and it all seems to be fine. So we hooked it up to a code reader and the only code it's coming up with ignition memory failure. So the mechanic thinks it could be the computer. New they are $500 can I go to a junk yard and get one out of the same model year and motor type? I realize that it would erase my mileage but at this point I don't care! I need help.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM
BillS
Captain

yes you could get one at a junk yard then it would have to be programmed to cars vin# and mileage(dealer probably have to do that) no idea how much for that. or you can try searching for ecm online,i've heard good things about allcomputerresources.com, have never used them,can get one there for 208.00 plus shipping with a lifetime warranty already programmed to your car

Old 10-25-2012, 04:39 PM
classicfan1
Rookie

When my dad still owned my Stratus, he had it fixed at Grismer and they didn't torque the bolt on the alternator and it sheared off. When that happened, the car lost power just like you describe...only it shorted out the alternator and battery for good since the wiring was frayed from this...

Keep in mind also that some shops just try to sell you expensive parts, one shop did this to my dad over a vacuum leak on our old Dodge Shadow. They tried to sell him a new computer when the car was only 5 or 6 years old. Skeptical, he looked and found the REAL problem...a torn hose he replaced for 50 cents at the hardware store.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge stratus 2.4