Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

stratus tranmission catastrophic failure!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
n8t8100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy stratus tranmission catastrophic failure!

Got a transmission problem, someone please help!.. So tonight I'm driving on the freeway in my '97 stratus ES with one of those cool select shifter auto transmissions (I wasn't selecting, I was just in D) and BAM!! it felt like someone had just slapped the gear selector into neutral... I limped off of the freeway and was able to stop alongside the road. At this time I went through the gears... no reverse. transmission doesn't even try to engage. Put it in drive... I get an engagement. Start off slowly.. trans about to shift to 2nd.. slight vibration and then the gear kicks out again. Won't go back into gear w/o turning off the car and then putting it in drive. I checked the fluid it appeared a little low so I added some to bring the level up but it still falls out of gear when it tries to shift. I was able to put it into first and limp it home just in first but if i tried to select 2nd it just falls out of gear and I have to turn it off and start all over again just to get a gear. Is my transmission done???

Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by n8t8100
Got a transmission problem, someone please help!.. So tonight I'm driving on the freeway in my '97 stratus ES with one of those cool select shifter auto transmissions (I wasn't selecting, I was just in D) and BAM!! it felt like someone had just slapped the gear selector into neutral... I limped off of the freeway and was able to stop alongside the road. At this time I went through the gears... no reverse. transmission doesn't even try to engage. Put it in drive... I get an engagement. Start off slowly.. trans about to shift to 2nd.. slight vibration and then the gear kicks out again. Won't go back into gear w/o turning off the car and then putting it in drive. I checked the fluid it appeared a little low so I added some to bring the level up but it still falls out of gear when it tries to shift. I was able to put it into first and limp it home just in first but if i tried to select 2nd it just falls out of gear and I have to turn it off and start all over again just to get a gear. Is my transmission done???
Certainly sounds like it's done
The 41te trans supports "limp home mode" which will lock it into second if there is a controller failure. You would still have D(2nd only) and R. Having it shutter and bang going into second, and not being able to get to R, says that it's internal failure.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Birdlady

Had a similar problem with mine. Before ya bunk the Trans. Try the transmission cooler lines cuz those can cause enough of a pressure leak to cause it to not want to shift.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: stratus tranmission catastrophic failure!