Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

DIY for front Brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
root_galaxy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY for front Brakes???

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do the front Pads and rotors on my 2005 Stratus Sedan SXT 2.4L. I've been searching for a DIY thread but haven't found anything. Looking for something with pics. If you guys could point me towards something like this or give me a little instruction I would appreciate it.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM
BillS
Captain

it's not to hard of a job heres a set of basic instructions that should work not sure if its metric allen wrenchs or torx wrenchs that you need for the caliber bolts been awhile since i did brakes on a stratus(don't have one anymore)
once you get the brakes off the rotor should just pull off(might have a clip holding it ) unless its rusted then you might have to tap it with a hammer

Instructions
    • 1Loosen the lug nuts on the wheels on which you intend to replace the brake pads. Use a lug wrench from the Dodge wheel maintenance kit (located in the trunk)

• 2Place the jack under the frame in the front of the Stratus. Lift the vehicle until the front tires are at least two inches off the ground. Remove the lug nuts and pull the tires/wheels from the wheel bolts. MAKE SURE TO USE JACK STANDS TO SUPPORT CAR.

• 3Remove the caliper slide bolts from the backside of the caliper might have a cover over them,you will need a set of metric allen wrenchs or possibly torx wrenchs not sure which your car has. The two bolts are located near the outermost edge of the caliper.

• 4Pull the caliper from the Stratus' caliper bracket.

• 5Remove the worn brake pads from the caliper with a flat screwdriver or other flat pry tool. The pads are clipped to the walls of the caliper by thin metal clips. Do not worry about damaging the clips during removal as the new pads will be equipped with their own clips.

• 6Place one of the worn brake pads against the caliper piston. The piston is the metal ring that protrudes from the inside of the caliper wall. Place the C-clamp over the worn piston and the back of the wall from which the piston extends.

• 7Screw the lever on the C-clamp to squeeze the caliper piston into the side (or wall) of the caliper. Open the piston completely to allow room for the bigger new brake pad. Remove the C-clamp and worn brake pad when the piston is flush with the inside of the caliper.

• 8Apply a thin layer of brake grease to the inside of the caliper to ensure free-flowing movement of the caliper piston.

• 9Slide the new brake pads onto the sides of the caliper. The metal clips on the back of the pads will fix them to the caliper walls.

• 10Replace the caliper over the caliper bracket and replace the caliper slide bolts.

• 11Return the wheel to the wheel bolts and screw on the lug nuts by hand.

• 12Lower the Stratus with the lifting jack and tighten the lug nuts with the lug wrench or socket and breaker bar.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
root_galaxy

Originally Posted by BillS
it's not to hard of a job heres a set of basic instructions that should work not sure if its metric allen wrenchs or torx wrenchs that you need for the caliber bolts been awhile since i did brakes on a stratus(don't have one anymore)
once you get the brakes off the rotor should just pull off(might have a clip holding it ) unless its rusted then you might have to tap it with a hammer

Instructions
    • 1Loosen the lug nuts on the wheels on which you intend to replace the brake pads. Use a lug wrench from the Dodge wheel maintenance kit (located in the trunk)

• 2Place the jack under the frame in the front of the Stratus. Lift the vehicle until the front tires are at least two inches off the ground. Remove the lug nuts and pull the tires/wheels from the wheel bolts. MAKE SURE TO USE JACK STANDS TO SUPPORT CAR.

• 3Remove the caliper slide bolts from the backside of the caliper might have a cover over them,you will need a set of metric allen wrenchs or possibly torx wrenchs not sure which your car has. The two bolts are located near the outermost edge of the caliper.

• 4Pull the caliper from the Stratus' caliper bracket.

• 5Remove the worn brake pads from the caliper with a flat screwdriver or other flat pry tool. The pads are clipped to the walls of the caliper by thin metal clips. Do not worry about damaging the clips during removal as the new pads will be equipped with their own clips.

• 6Place one of the worn brake pads against the caliper piston. The piston is the metal ring that protrudes from the inside of the caliper wall. Place the C-clamp over the worn piston and the back of the wall from which the piston extends.

• 7Screw the lever on the C-clamp to squeeze the caliper piston into the side (or wall) of the caliper. Open the piston completely to allow room for the bigger new brake pad. Remove the C-clamp and worn brake pad when the piston is flush with the inside of the caliper.

• 8Apply a thin layer of brake grease to the inside of the caliper to ensure free-flowing movement of the caliper piston.

• 9Slide the new brake pads onto the sides of the caliper. The metal clips on the back of the pads will fix them to the caliper walls.

• 10Replace the caliper over the caliper bracket and replace the caliper slide bolts.

• 11Return the wheel to the wheel bolts and screw on the lug nuts by hand.

• 12Lower the Stratus with the lifting jack and tighten the lug nuts with the lug wrench or socket and breaker bar.

Thanks! I appreciate it

Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
FrankTA2
Amateur
Default Video

In case you'd like to see the video, here it is.....

Quick Reply: DIY for front Brakes???