Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Stratus R/T Dies at idle when cold and has no kick down.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2001 Stratus R/T Dies at idle when cold and has no kick down.

My sister bought a 2001 Stratus R/T last year and honestly I always loved those cars but after working on it I think that Jap 3.0 V6 can suck a big one, I'll take my Chrysler 2.0 & 2.4 motors anyday!. Anyway from day one it stalls when cold and you have to lightly put your foot on the gas pedal to keep it running until it warms up, then its fine. It also has no kick down/down shift at any time unless you manually shift it.

Codes that are read are Bank 1, sensor 1 O2 Sensor malfunction, and TPS (throttle position sensor). My brother whos a mechanic cleaned the throttle body,replaced the Idle Air Control Motor and put a new TPS & o2 sensor in 6 months ago and long story short the car got put on the back burner, he had no time to work on it and now its my problem (the little brothers job to fix it lol). So I read the codes and again, same crap wrong, same o2 sensor and TPS code.

Tonight I put a new TPS in and it still stalls out, but what I'm wondering is how to adjust the tps as it has bolt hole slots for adjusting it? Information on this has been non existent. I've stepped it up in every position and no change that can be felt in the way it runs.

Also her car does NOT kick down/down shift and my sister has to resort to manually shifting it into the gears. I looked for a kick down cable and found none and I assume it is done electronically based off of the TPS reading? Anyway I don't know what the heck is going on and she wants to give this POS to my 16 year old niece and get a Stratus with a 4 banger instead and I'm left to figure out whats wrong so my niece has a safe car to drive.

I'm thinking that the PCM is probably cashed in because we've confirmed it has a perfect wiring harness with no shorts and thrown the check book and list of sensors at that motor and still the same old crap. It suffers from the same retarded too much electrical bull$hit that GM cars do, I personally find it to be a disgrace to wear a Dodge Badge with that demon of an engine inside (and no pun intented with the demon remark lol). Its fine when it works and is fun to drive but what a stupid design.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 02-19-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Stratus R/T Dies at idle when cold and has no kick down.