Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

'02 Stratus Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 PM
wayne0400
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Stratus Timing belt

I have a 2.4L 2002 Stratus. Last summer my timing belt broke while I was driving at a low speed. I've replaced the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, and water pump. I am now attempting to align the two camshaft sprocket notches while at TDC on the crankshaft sprocket. After multiple rotations, the threewill not align, but when the two camshaft sprockets are aligned (with the exhaust cam 1/2 notch lower than the intake, and both up arrows pointing generally up), the TDC mark on the crankshaft sprocket is pointed down; like inmy crudely drawn picture.https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_FurAVS6dzrdEdpYzBVdXBBeUE/edit?usp=sharingThis happens exactly every two revolutions.

As this is a free-wheeling engine, I believe I should be able to leave thetwo camshafts aligned as they are, take off the timing belt, and rotate thecrankshaft by itself, until it is TDC.

What do you think?
btw, I know that there is a chance that there was valve to valve interference when the belt broke, but its worth a shot.

Last edited by wayne0400; 03-02-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: '02 Stratus Timing belt