Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Stratus 2.4 SE sedan - Need advice on whether to sell it or keep it

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 PM
bigdaddy82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2001 Stratus 2.4 SE sedan - Need advice on whether to sell it or keep it

2001 Dodge Stratus 2.4L SE Sedan (in back it has 'Executive Dodge' symbol).

My friend bought this car in a DMV auction in 2010 with 65K on it. He took it to a mechanic and changed all fluids and nothing required any mechanical change. Per mechanic's opinion, he got a very good car for a very good price. He lived right in front of his office, only used his car very sparingly (1.5 yrs did only 7K) and he changed oil and maintained regularly, he was a safe and responsible driver.

As he was leaving out of country with his family, I bought the car him on 2012 June with 72K on it. Now the car has 79K on it. So far I changed Engine oil two times. The A/C and heater works - only Fan1 wont work, everything works perfectly.

The car do not have any mechanical fault that i know of. Last month I drove it from Connecticut to Michigan (700 miles) and it ran with no issues. And I drive slow and steady, never rev higher.

Question/Help required (I have no knowledge in cars, I mean I am zero)
1. Start-up noise on cold/snow day:
The only thing I observed during this winter is, when I start the car very first time in morning, it makes a sound and starts. Once started in morning, warmed up, anytime when i start the sound isnt coming and when there is no snow or normal temperature, there is no noise during start.

2. Sell it or keep it:
I am not a fan of shiny/great looking cars. I just need one for my transportation (12 miles from my home to office in Michigan 696 highway).
My roommate says American cars are less reliable and asks me to go for a Jap. I am not asking which is reliable, but my concern is I have nobody to help me (I have AAA, i meant in day where car just stops in middle of a highway). By considering below facts, I request any owner of Stratus/experienced person to provide me advice to take my decision

----a. The car is nearing 80K. If i run 10K/Yr, should I wait to hit 100K to change the timing belt (its what dodge manual says). Is there any time limit for life of timing belts even when it is not 100K? If so, do we still get the spares of this car and how much it would cost to replace the standard (timing belt, water house, fluids,..)?

----b. What would you do if you are in my situation? (I can shellout 8K for my next car). Is this car worth to change (I meant by considering my situation) or should I give it to someone (I might give it for <3K$) and get some other car?

----c. If you are owning this car, what is your current mileage, what is the problem do you think I might face?

----d. If i can keep the car, what check do I need to do? like people say 40 point check/100 point check or running computer stuff or something like that? I am okay to spend 100$ to check the car's health.

Please, I am not asking which make is better (American/Europe/Jap) or what car I need to buy. My motive is to get idea from people who own this car, or have enough knowledge on auto field who know about this car. Based on your answer, I would keep/sell it.

Last edited by bigdaddy82; 03-24-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 AM
ratsttam
Captain

1: the noise while cold is probably normal for its age and the starting temp. Oil is thick when cold, metal contracts... I wouldn't worry about it.

2: Keep it!
A: Timing belt can be checked for cracks and premature wear by any mechanic. Change now if it's dried or cracking. Otherwise, change at proper mileage.
B: It's a solid car, paid for. Unless there is some reason you WANT to get rid of it for something else, I personally would hang on to it.
C: With such low mileage, things like the exhaust or CV joints may be rusting or dry rotted. Sounds like it was well maintained, I wouldn't stress over what MAY happen. I had a 2000 with just shy of 200,000mi (2.5L v6).
D: If you're worried about the condition of the car, Have your local trusted mechanic take a look at it. Their rates may vary widely. My old mechanic, now retired, would check cars for my family at no cost. I've heard of others being charged upwards of $200 for a thorough checkup. Here in PA we can request a regular State Safety Inspection, which runs in the ~$20 range and includes suspension, brake, lights, wipers, tires, and some other points of safety concern.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM
bigdaddy82

ratsttam, Thanks for the reply.

I will keep the car and will try to find a mechanic recommended by any my co-workers, its only 6 weeks in MI. Is it advisable to go any dodge service center or any like pepboys or midas (i read, few do good and many manipulate the costs/issues)?

Anyway, until I see a need, I ride it to see how long the car can run .

Quick Reply: 2001 Stratus 2.4 SE sedan - Need advice on whether to sell it or keep it