Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Ticking but not starting 96 stratus

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013 | 11:02 PM
blondedude092
|
Exclamation Ticking but not starting 96 stratus

I initially was finding that my car was not starting in the morning where it would have to be jumped I didn't think much of it until I had to have it jumped the same day again.
I went and put my car on the battery charger over night and it said it was already maxed out so I left it alone till the next day.
I actually had to have the car jumped again to get it going.
After that I went ahead and used a meter to check the battery while it was off and it indicated 13v and then I tested the alternator by turning the vehicle on and that tested at a 14v (max of the meter).
The car would have difficulty starting. I could hear it turn and then it would stop. If I would wait a little and try again it would repeat.
I went ahead and changed the starter on the car and that didn't fix the issue.
All the fuses that I know of are not blown. I went ahead and tried to pull the codes off the computer via connection under the steering wheel and it indicated no codes. There should have at least be one code saying that I needed to change the oxygen sensor and that code didn't pop up.

After attempting to turn the vehicle on it would only make clicking sound. No turns most of the time. If I leave key in the on position the engine light will flash after attempting to start. The flashes indicate a code, the code is equivalent that of the PCM is not getting direct power. That would explain why I couldn't pull the codes off of it.

If I am correct, I am left with two options that I know of, replace the engine harness(dealership discontinued), or replace PCM ($470 @ dealership).

I am no mechanic so if anyone has any idea's please throw them at me.

Old 04-19-2013 | 11:16 PM
BillS
Captain

check all the battery cables are they clean and tight , what did you use to test battery ? a regular meter won't show a bad cell could show 13 volts but put under load not enough to start car, try taking battery somewhere to be tested(autozone,advance etc.) .as for the pcm code i wouldn't worry about that yet could be related to car not starting and leaving key on for to long may want to check alternator make sure its not more then 14 volts

Last edited by BillS; 04-19-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Ticking but not starting 96 stratus