Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1996 stratus 6 cyl front end noise while coasting

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM
mps2mom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 stratus 6 cyl front end noise while coasting

just got the idle motor fixed a few days ago, battery light came on yesterday and ended up having to replace the alternator last night and now......

There is a clicking/popping and kind of a grinding noise coming from the front end (sometimes sounds like the drivers side sometimes sounds like the passenger side) but only when I am coasting and only when I have been driving for 20 min or so. The steering is squeaky when turning and getting harder to turn the steering but that has been happening for a couple of weeks and we are pretty sure that is the power steering pump. the clicking/popping noise does not happen while the brake or the accelerator is applied. the CV boot looks like it is halfway off of the axle on the drivers side and the passenger side looks fine .So my question is what do you guys think is wrong and is it safe to drive until we can get it in the shop (which is hopefully the next day or so)?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 PM
BillS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hard to say from your description without hearing it definately have cv joint checked if boots half off will cause it to go bad faster,wheel bearing maybe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 stratus 6 cyl front end noise while coasting