Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Blows water AFTER turned OFF (2004)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Pattywak1209
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blows water AFTER turned OFF (2004)

Thanks for the awesome place for REAL answers from other owners! Kudos!

I am a fairly new owner who is super happy with my used purchase, what a fantastic looking car!!
The only complaints I have are two-

1st- the heater/ac only blows when on 4 (the highest) and not 1,2, or 3. It is cold enough, but not super cold air. Vegas gets over 100 so a/c is a must!

2nd- the temp runs at 1/2 way once driven for over 20 minutes, never above. Then when you finally turn it off at destination, it starts bubbling out of either The Cap? Or the Overflow Reservoir, which there is no where for an overflow hose by the way.

After doing the few things like Flush & Refill, the water/antifreeze IS circulating. Plus a (not factory) replacement Reservoir Cap (which is the only way to fill it) Hoping to get some tips before spending bunches.

Re: 1- Is it most likely the Resistor? And is it a job I could do or best to have a mechanic mess with?

Re: 2- Could it still be the Cap not holding pressure? The one it calls for has no Pressure Release Valve and I thought it best to have that kind.... Or is it more likely the thermostat, period?

I have a friend who said something along the lines of "the Stock Thermostat may not allow for the temp to heat up enough before opening." If this is true, then wouldn't ALL these Models run into the same issue? Or could that be the case with just some?

If in fact it needs a different Thermostat than book says, What is the Right one then? Where would I get it at?

Thank You so much, any help is super appreciated.
I can post Pix if needed, or whatever.

xoxo Patty

Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 PM
BillS
Captain

welcome , most likely the resistor is bad, speeds 1 thru 3 run thru resistor high speed(4) doesn't go thru resistor (very very slight chance could be fan),its not very hard its located behind the glove box couple screws on bottom of glove box you can remove the glove box,theres only 2 screws holding the resistor in .you may have to enlarge the opening a little they redisigned the resistor in 2005 (I have a copy of bulletin if you want to send me a private message with an email i'll send it to you pictures don't work good on this sight).
how much is bubbling out a little bubbling in tank is sort of normal,my old '04 did that sometimes never bubbled out of tank,did you bleed the system of air could be air trapped in system(filling and getting the air out is a real pain), could be temperture sending units bad (might be actually hotter then it says) could be thermostat personally i wouldn't change to a different thermostat then what it calls for. are fans working ?also check the overflow reservoir have read on here they leak and cause same problem sometimes

Last edited by BillS; 04-22-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Pattywak1209

Hi Bills, Thank you for your reply.

I have the book on it, just the Haynes, but it does give the pics for the How To, on replacing the resistor. Think I could do it easily.

Now to the water bubbling situation.
1- It is approx. 1 cupful at most that comes out AFTER running.
2- I thought it might be the Temp Sending Unit thingy, but was doubtful because of the gauge reading cold at start, slowly going to halfway, etc.
3- This Reservoir looks different than ALL the pics I have seen online, as it has a Purposeful (for lack of a better word...) BlowHole? in the top,back side, that is inward. No hose could get to it.

Pause... Is it weird that it has NO HOSE from Cap to what looks like the Receiver/Dryer Unit (Between the windshield fluid reservoir and the power steering reservoir)- I cannot validate if some do not have it?

And lastly, I am googling how to Bleed the Air out of the Cooling System now. But any tips would be most appreciated!

Thank You Much!! Patty

Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
BillS
Captain

hi patty you bleed it where the water outlet(temp sending unit thingy ) is theres a little nipple on top you place a 1/4 inch hose on the end and open it ,supposed to fill antifreeze until you get a stream coming out of hose,hard part is getting it from tank into engine dodge instructions show a special funnel with a divider going down middle lets air get into overflow tank, i disconnected the hose off overflow tank and tried putting antifreeze thru hose with a funnel.the coolant tank sounds the same that was on my '4 looks like a blowhole in front of tank and no hose on cap either

Quick Reply: Blows water AFTER turned OFF (2004)